• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

St. Cloud City Hunt

BeerHunter

I am wondering if any of you have got in or had been in the St. Cloud City Hunt.

It is the Third year of the hunt. I applied last year and got in this year. Ive Looked at some of the land and am impressed.

Looking to get and share info with others in the hunt or who have hunted the land before.

Only 5 Days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin

I did not get drawn either!!! However I wish I did, I could have hunted pretty much in my backyard. Also does anyone know, if you did get drawn are you assigned certain areas to hunt in or is it a free for all as long as your in their designated areas??? Just curious as I will again try to get in next year.

I got in. I was an alternate, and when I showed up I was amazed at how many people had failed to put 5 arrows in a 9inch plate at 20yds.

I will be hunting in a spot that I have only ever dreamed of hunting! cant say where it is though-you know the game.

A thing you have to understand about the first two years of this hunt, is that it was Earn a buck both years. If you wanted to hunt a buck you would have to shoot a deer on the east side of the river ( prison grounds) because that is management zone. The west side of the river is Lottery so no one could hunt it till they got their DOE.

This year there is not Earn a Buck so i am pretty pumped.

Good Luck hunter for life.

Just how many didnt pass when you got there, I am pretty curious?

The guy held up a stack of about 20 people im guessing. It was a pretty good sized stack. He also said that alot people just decided not to show up to take the test.

Good luck to you also- I am also extremely pumped. There are some huge buck signs in the area Im at, and specifically in my selected spot.Not only that, but I have seen them in there. have you found yourself a good place?

ps. the pic of the buck on the HSOforum is a buck that was taken the first year the hunt was available.

I’ve applied and have yet to get drawn. I wonder how many people apply for it?

I had a buddy hunt it last year. He got in as an alternate. If I’m not mistaken there was 30 alternates required to show up. Does that sound accurate? And I believe he was alternate #26 or something close to that. He got one of the last 3 spots. Did the alternate qty needed change within the last year? But in any case, he said it was unbelievable on the amount of people that failed the proficiency test.

I thought there were only 20 but I could be mistaken. There were about 700 applicants, so anyone that got selected was sure lucky, inlcluding myself as an alternate. I drew the 2nd alternate position so I was standing pretty darn well in the big picture, but I know alot more alternates got in. I think the amount of people applying, coupled with the people who cant make the shots, and the people that were drawn but just decided not to show up really screws everyone else over! If you are not honestly not going to be able to hunt a few evenings a week and maybe some mornings, then dont apply! The city is trying to manage the deer herd(even though I dont think they are very well), and they want people that are going to actually hunt it. There are alot of people out there who talk and plan for the hunting season but never really put in the time, and if you are one of these people, you know it. Its really dissapointing in a situation like this. Though I was able to get in, I think its a slap in the face to everyone who was not fortunate enought to be drawn if you decide not to show up for your proficiency test and/or fail it. One of the people adminsistering the test said that people get up there and get all nervous and that is why they dont pass it. In my mind, if a person cant shoot 5 arrows in a 9inch circle at 20yds in front of archers just like them, then how to do they think they are going to hit a deer when the heart is racing even faster?

Anyway, thats my shpeal. Im done thinking about the negatives-the season is almost under way, and I am pumped! :)Looks like this will be a good year to velvet opportunities being it was a late spring.

i was told this year was the first year that they gave times to show up to shoot. I went early cause i was not able to make the time they gave me and asked if i could shoot early and they wouldn't allow it. so i was unable to shoot. This was my second time i applied to the hunt. i was told last year you just showed up and shot when ever you wanted to throught the aloted time. i was not happy about missing it and i wish i could have gave it to someone that could have made the time i was givin.

That floors me that that many people didnt pass. I know one person who didnt pass but i didnt get the story. All i know is that i was nervous as [PoorWordUsage] after the first 2 arrows. It made it all that much more fun. I think i felt more nervous than shooting a deer, Got to love that feeling.

I was out where i plan to hunt right away and liked what i saw. I wont get out this weekend but i will be out almost every tues and thursday night.

Im actually kind of happy to hear there may not be all the 70 hunters out there. ?

Do you have any idea how many hunters got in?

Go to the City of St.Cloud HSOforum----Click on the Archery Hunt link on the Main page---and all the hunting info. is there. There is also the four areas that are open for the hunt listed there that have aerial photos with borders drawn in.

I got in and thought it would be fun, but it is turning out that 50% of the people who got drawn are anal cavities. Lots of yelling and fighting, not to mention I had a guy put his stand 10 yards form mine and yell at me when I asked if he saw anything, he did thins in front of my 3 year old daughter, what a guy. I hope all of the people in the hunt shoot a deer; I guess I am just a true sportsman. If you are in St. Cloud good luck, and if someone tries to talk to you, don't be a jerk, we are all sportsmen and should conduct ourselves as such to promote the sport.

Brownie I worked for the city last summer and some of my fellow co-workers told me about the city hunt and I should apply and I declined for this very reason of dealing with people like that or people period on the land your hunting. Plus I grew up in the area and I just know how the people of central minnesota are. I also have private land to bowhunt by myself so I have no need to deal with a city hunt, that "I must hunt 2-3 times a week". IMO its not that great of hunt unless your desperate for hunting places, as you already have experienced Brownie with the very small area you get to hunt and limited number of places the city allows, compared to a city hunt like Bemidji's where the people are more spread out with more land to hunt compared to St. Cloud's. Just my 2 cents on it....hopefully the rest of you have a good hunt there and shoot some deer cuz they are thicker than sh!t in the 3 county area.

I have been out. I have never taken a deer in my life. 31 and only my 4th year hunting, trapping always got in the way. All I want is to shoot a doe, where are you hunting? I am over by serenity. I saw lots of deer and missed a shot at a little spike buck, my fault.