• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Essential Crankbaits?

mr_jman

I am somewhat new to trolling cranks but have enjoyed doing it a lot this year!

Lets say I want to spend around $50 or so. What are some of the most essential or popular ones to give me a fair selection. I know firetiger and black or blue and silver seem popular (reading through the forums). I also know the X-raps seem to catch a bunch of fish. But if anyone can give me some opinions about a few really good ones... size, color, model, whatever. I just want a good selection that also can cover the entire water column.

Thanks im sure ill get a good amount of suggestions!

Then I better spend the money on that crank depth book that seems worth every penny!

I'd never chase 'eyes without at least one Shad Rap #9 in perch in the boat. Hot n' Tots in just about any color are another fav.

Recently though, I've developed a thing for Reef Runners. Haven't settled on a favorite color yet though.

shad raps #5 and #7 Silver blue orange, clown, perch and firetiger the first two are discontinued, darn you normark/ rapala. Salmo floating hornets size 4 and 5 in green tiger, red tail shiner and gold metallic orange. Jointed shad raps size 4 and 5 in red crawdad, firetiger, and bleeding hot olive.

For strickly trolling and looking to spend around $50, you will want to maximize the amount of water your selection of lures will cover and stick with provencolors.

Will just say that you could get 8 lures for that price I'm a fan on having 1 neutral color and 1 bright color of every lure, but for your price range I'll just throw out a few of my favorites

#5 Shad Rap in Hot Tiger or Perch

#7 Shad Rap in Firetiger or Black and Silver

#4 Floating Salmo Hornet in Hot perch or Gold

#5 Floating Salmo Hornet in Clown or Red Tail Shiner

#7 Shallow Shad Rap in Firetiger or Yellow Perch

#6 SDR Salmo Bullhead in Bullhead or Yellow Dace

#9 Deep Tail Dancer in Clown or Black

#10 Husky Jerk in Firetiger or Blue

Lots of other lures out there too, Berkley Flicker Shads are a great allternative to Shad Raps for about half the price. I haven't had much sucess on Reef Runners, I typically don't troll in that deep of water, but they are also a great lure.

deep diving shad on the croix... I like natural colors most days. one nice thing about the croix you can pull two plugs and see if they prefer one over the other. switch one out try it again. pretty soon you'll find the to baits their lookin' for.

I must suck because i've never caught eyes on crankbait...i have about 25 crankbaits and not one has been broken in...

anyone got suggestions on what to use on the St.Croix?

On the croix I like blue/white and firetiger colored cranks.

Alright here it is.

As well as some additional commentary.

First in "general" minnow baits work better in cooler water. So for the rest of this year and next spring I use a lot of minnow style baits and more of the shad style bait during the summer months.

The with the Husky Jerk the HJ12 are my go to but HJ14 are good as well(Rainbow, Clown, Firetiger & Glass Perch). The rogues vary greatly in diving depth depending on which ones you picked. The super rogues will usually dive 8-10 feet depending on the line and length you use. I also like the standard floating rogues for shallow water(2-5 feet)(Firetiger, clown, chrome). I like to have both rattling and quiet baits as some nights fish want one or the other. I'd add a few #13 & #11 floating raps(Rainbow, Chartruese, perch, firetiger, Flo. org/gold & Gold/Black). Also #11 jointed are good. I also like Salmo #9 Minnows(Hot Perch, Dace). I also love the Storm Thundersticks(Perch, Clown, Chrome & Firetiger). Plus you'll want a few SSR #7 and SR#5 shad raps. Let's not forget the X Raps in #10.

If I were only going to buy 15 lures they'd be, (Who am I kidding? I'll have over 270 cranks along).

#11 Floating Rapala in Rainbow or other light trout pattern

#13 Floating Rapala in Clown

#11 Jointed Rapala in Perch

HJ12 in Firetiger

HJ12 in Glass Perch

HJ14 in Chrome/Black

Floating Rattlin Rogue in Firetiger

Super Rogue in Metalic Firetiger

Thunderstick in Perch

Thunderstick in Firetiger

Salmo #9 Minnow in Chrome Dace

SSR7 Shad Rap in Shad

SR#5 Shad Rap in Perch

SR#7 Shad Rap in Clown

Wally Diver in Chartruese

#10 X Rap in Perch

These would give you good depth, color, size, noise, Floating/Suspend and vibration options.

You would likely get quite a different list of favorites based on who you asked.

I do not know if these are the "Essential Cranks", but it is what I have chosen for my opening line up grin.

This is what is going in my box for Mille Lacs this fall (for now).

WebI1UrhALyA5WFEJB87P+y22e+sT8av0300.jpg

I have a gut feeling walleyes are going to be going for big lures this fall. I can not tell ya why, but I feel with the weather and conditions we have had this year, big might just be a go to bait.

Basically I am a Rapala guy. Huskyjerk 12's (maybe a 10), Huskyjerk 14's and F18's is what I am going with this fall and a couple other odds and ends..

I would say this is around the $50.00 mark also.

I love Borch's picks also grin!Might have to pick some more up soon.

Pretty nice fall full moon assortment Shack. I left the #18 off my list here as I feel they are not in that top 15 baits unless your fishing Mille Lacs or looking for trophy fish late in the fall. Those big baits start to shine once the surface temps get below 50 degrees. I really do like Rapala cranks but I really like Rattlin Rogues and Thundersticks as well. At times it's hard to beat the Salmo too. wink

So tough to choose...

Likin' the cranks there Shack! Not enough Smithwicks though. wink

Firetiger & Rainbow Trout HJ12s were the ticket this weekend. Finally gave up on the cats.

Couple big green and slimies latched on to the Firetiger HJ, imagine that? grin

IMO... Firetiger HJ12 is a "must-have", as is Clown.

I'll add a Tiger Roan Super Rogue, and Clown Super Rogue to that mix as well to run a "bit" deeper than the HJ12s. To run up shallow, I'll probably grab a Vampire Original Floater F11 or F13. The F11 Vampire is the most toothed up of my floaters so the eyes sure like it. grin

These are the baits i use down here in Winona on the river in the fall and some of them work just as good in the spring as well.I also fish alot of taildancers and wally divers that do the trick.That is a very nice collection Borch and if any of you are going to the fall fenzy on Mill Lacs here is a good start of what you need. When i get up there to Mill Lacs in late Oct early Nov i will have some 150-200 along myself for the great fall bite wouldnt miss it and havent for over 10 yrs.