• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Driller61

Long battery cables

Long time lurker but first time poster. I've got a project boat I need to get back to and have a question I hope someone here can answer. I have the interior of my 84 Sea Nymph down to the stringers. Bought a new fuel tank so I don't have to mess with cans. Problem is the only place to install the new fuel tank will bury the current location of the starting battery. I bought two #4 RV battery cables that are 14' long thinking I would just put the starting battery up front with the trolling motor batteries. Now I'm wondering if the long battery cables will give me trouble in the future such as short battery life or engine starter problems. What do you guys think?

How big of a motor does your boat have on it?

For two reasons:

1) Amperage draw - you will be borderline with 4 gauge, 2 gauge would have been better

2) Weight distribution - if you put all your battieres in the front (presumably 2 trolling motor batteries & starting battery) are you going to have enough hp to get the boat on plane?

Having the fuel tank in back will help, but the benefit will decrease as you burn gas.

marine_man

Just went out and looked at the wire again - it's #2. The motor is a 90hp, which is the maximum. I guess I'll put the starter battery in the front and not worry about it. Thanks all.

Are you talking Cable size as to power a house or wire?Cable #8 would be OK I have #6 in mine and believe I over did it.Mines 18 ft cable #6 Ga.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• I have had great luck w/ my 3 yr old Big Horn. I have always said that the controller and hopper looked a lot like the Pit Boss       yeah... I'd say you've got options!
    • Actually I got a new 4 burner Char Grill with side burner this spring for up at the camper and a new cheaper 2 burner with side burner a week ago for at home, so alone with the new Char Grill smoker I got last year I have plenty of wienee cookers thanks.  😘  
    • what type of lenses? glass?
    • About 10 years ago I bought a boat that I had to track down a person that was not who I bought the boat from as they owned it many years before that!!!  But I am sure that I got the owners name from the DMV to then track down and had her sign a form, brought back to DMV, and then put into my name.  I am guessing things have changed as to how to get the name, but sounds silly to have to write a letter to get information that they could use proper discretion to give it to you or not.  Good Luck!
    • Traegers are super over-rated and over-priced for what they are. I would rather buy that big horn up above than a Traeger.    I'm fairly certain that Big Horn is just a Pit Boss. Louisiana smokers makes Pit Boss and a bunch of other stuff that other's put their own name on including PF's Cabela's model. I have a small Pit Boss that I am going to use for camping and I like it just fine. I bought that one from a friend for $50 but I'm sure that's still too much for Leech......
    • ok so story time...the one that got away but saw the fish.  I was ice fishing on Red when the eye fishing was still closed and we went out for an early season excursion about a mile out of Westwind.  It was Saturday evening when I my bobber shot down and the fight was on.  Now we were only in probably 5-7 ft of water if that but I "tired" the fish out where I was able to get it directly under the hole and all we could see was a monster northern head filling up the hole!!  No one would put there hand near that thing, let alone blindly through 2.5 ft of ice, so we just watched it for a minute or two float beneath the hole until I tried to turn it up the hole and the line just snapped when he decided he had had enough!!  That was painful not to touch but seeing it and knowing it was all of 44"+ was better than wondering.   Now to the not seen...Ice fishing Waukanabo by Leech in the deep hole on the north end and I see a mark on the bottom and I hook into it and could not budge it off the bottom.  I sat there for a few minutes with rod bent over trying to lift it with nothing but my line slowly moving away until pop it spit my lure!!!  I think the hole is over 40' deep and with 4lb test mono I guess as much as I applied pressure the hook wasn't in!!    What could have been~ so those are two stories that stick out in my mind and of the 2 the second stings more as I have no clue what it could have been and that runs through my mind but the northern as cool as it would have been to touch measure and what not, to see it and to know how massive it was, makes it "easier" to deal with. 
    • Sorry for the delayed response.    Checked in at the Lac Seul Resort on Wednesday, June 6, and checked out on Monday, June 11. Anticipating our usual needs, I preordered 200 dozen minnows and a pound of leeches from KA Sports & Tackle in Dryden for 10 guys to fish for 4-1/2 days.    This was the first time in 20 years that we actually had bait left over at the end. I gave away about 30 dozen minnows to a neighboring cabin because they didn't have any.    We found the morning bite to be slow for some reason but the evening bite was better. Most activity was found in moving water on the English River. On Friday evening another guy and myself went to Pelican Rapids and from 6:00pm till about 9:30pm we figured we boated over 200 walleyes and a few northnerns. Unfortunately, they were all between 15" - 17" in length and we were looking for the 17" - 18" size for the freezer. That's always our goal for fish we intend to take home.    The following night we went back and although the fish weren't biting quite as fast they were larger. Over the same time frame we figured we only boated about 100 walleyes but the size ranged more in the 17" - 22" size.    Overall we had a few walleyes caught in the 25" - 28" range with the largest of the week at 28.25". Northern pike were active with many caught in the 31" - 34" range. Didn't boat any in the 40" range as we usually do but those lower 30-inchers sure put up a fight.    Also found a few nice smallies and whitefish as usual.    Most fish were found in the 10' - 14' depth range, which was unusual compared to previous years when we caught them in shallow water along the shorelines.    Great weather with steady winds out of the southerly directions, which is what we always hope for but never get and nobody got hurt. Another successful year for us.
    • Seeing the fish is probably my preference since I would probably release it anyway. The only unfortunate thing would be not having a photo of it.