• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

help with canadian/ ontario laws

goose89

can someone clarify this:

if someone has gotten a dwi/dui in the states in the last 5 yrs, does that make that person "criminally inadmissable" in ontario / canada. I.E. that person cannot enter ontario without providing several proofs of identity, letters of reference, state police clearances, and even an FBI criminal record check.
i know this topic has been brought up and discussed in the past, but never has any rock solid info or experiences been offered, other than go to the canadian consulate. i understand they are next to impossible to work with or get any sound info out of. please share any info or experiences. ( how long a process, how much $, if all that is really needed, etc.) any info would help. thanks in advance.
goose

[This message has been edited by goose89 (edited 02-16-2004).]

Try this link

http://gocanada.about.com/cs/bordercrossing/a/what_stops_you.htm

for info on your subject. It had this passage on it.

DUI/DWI
Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol / Driving while intoxicated
I know many people who have a DUI conviction with a suspended sentence. They have never spent so much as five minutes in a jail cell, but until or unless they get a pardon for the crime, they cannot cross the border.
George W. Bush, President of the USA legally could not cross the border into Canada due to his DUI conviction until he was granted a special dispensation from the Canadian Government which allowed him to visit. Fortunately, the Candian Governement processed the documentation allowing Mr. Bush unlimited access to Canada until 2005.

From what I understand Canadian Customs may not ask, but if they do you may be told to turn around.

I can tell you from personal expirience that you need to have a passport or birth certificate with a valid picture ID to get back INTO the US since 9/11. US Customs won't like it if you try to cross with just your DL.

Myself and three others were stopped at the border in early January on our way to go lake trout fishing. We went through customs (not everyone who crosses does this) and gave them our driver's licenses. One of our group had a DWI six years ago. Immigration caught it when they ran the license #'s through the computer.

The lady in charge was very nice, and he was issued a temporary permit and allowed into the country at her discretion. This will not be the case for all people. Had he been driving alone I am sure she would have refused entry. As it was he paid a percentage of the toal cost of the trip (ended up being $160) and got a special permit to stay in Canada for five days (the length of our trip). It was a one-time only deal and she made it clear he would probably not be able to do it again if he was "caught" at the border. She also gave him paperwork to apply for a rehabilitation permit which would allow access into Canada under the same circumstances as someone without a DWI. Cost was $250. Not sure if he did the paperwork or not.

If your latest DWI was more than 10 years ago, you're fine and are considered "rehabilitated".

Also - no venison (elk, moose, deer, etc) beef, or potatoes. We donated a lot of grub to the food shelf at the border.