• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chev Avalanche Gas Mileage

LODFFB

Just thought I'd ask you guys. I am hopoing to buy one in a year or 2 and am wondering about the gas mileage pulling a fishhouse in winter & a boat in the summer. And just reg gas mileage running dry. I am seriousy considering one because I can get the kids in it its still a truck and its a full size for towing power. A couple people said it wont get very good mileage because its a tank. Right now I have a dodge dakota with a v-6 and get 16 mpg dry but if I pull my fishhouse or a boat I can see my gas gauge drop. Any info would be appreciated.

Larry

pulling a boat you can expect approx. 14-15 mpg out of the 5.3L and regular unleaded. That will drop down to about 10-11 with E-85 and towing.

Without towing, I can get an average of 19-20 burning regular unleaded and 14 with E-85.

There is one exception that I can't understand with the E-85. I filled up (tank was almost dry)with E-85 from the Cenex in Battle Lake and averaged 18 mpg over the course of 210 miles, including driving down I94. I can fill up at the Cenex in Le Sueur and only average 14 driving 169 to Shakopee without the rush hour traffic and stop lights to worry about.

I would obviously rather be using E-85 and getting the 18 mpg consistently at $2.50/gallon.

The avalanche and the silverado have the same motor(in most models). Get yourself a nice crew cab 1/2 ton and you'll be just fine, you'll get a real truck and be much happier in the long run.

I have a 2007 Silverado with the 5.3L with active fuel managment( no flex fuel). When towing my 8x20 (24ft total length) Fishhouse/Toyhauler with 2 Polaris ATV's in it brining the total package with gear to about 7000lbs I average about 10 miles per gallon. When I am putsing around without a trailer the active fuel managment is nice operating on 4 cylinders, when you step on the pedal it is seamless going from V4-V8.

BTW, one more thing about the Avalanche. We had to haul a daybed once in the middle of winter. The bed in them is an absolute joke. We had to remove all that plastic, maneuver the back seat and window in order to make it a full bed. Then, we had to freeze our **** off the entire way home because the back end was wide open.

Ya I looked at them and if you want a "Truck" then get something else. I mean if your the type of guy who hauls stuff with your truck, gets loads of dirt/rock or your going on trips with lots of gear dont get a Avalanche. The bed is small and to make it of any size your playing around with the back window etc. Then when thats gone you lose your heat.

I would just do as other said and get a nice Siverado or the GMC equivalent with the tow package.

Or the new Fords are very nice as well.

I havent seen or heard of anyone getting the 20 mpg that Chev claims so thats not a factor to me.

My next truck will have a hard lift cover or a big cover. I hate having to tarp stuff on trips and taking stuff out that I dont want people messing with on trips.

If you want a full length box on the Chevy or GMC, you'll also have to either go with the Extended Cab or go with a 2500HD to get the full length box.

Crew Cab Sierra's and Silverado's come with an EXTREMELY SHORT BOX.

Crew Cab Sierra's and Silverado's come with an EXTREMELY SHORT BOX.

5'8" on the crew cabs if I remember correctly. 6'6" is a regular (used to be called short box), and 8' on the long box. Extremely short box is a good way to look at it grin

Ya I looked at them and if you want a "Truck" then get something else. I mean if your the type of guy who hauls stuff with your truck, gets loads of dirt/rock or your going on trips with lots of gear dont get a Avalanche. The bed is small and to make it of any size your playing around with the back window etc. Then when thats gone you lose your heat.

I would just do as other said and get a nice Siverado or the GMC equivalent with the tow package.

Or the new Fords are very nice as well.

I havent seen or heard of anyone getting the 20 mpg that Chev claims so thats not a factor to me.

My next truck will have a hard lift cover or a big cover. I hate having to tarp stuff on trips and taking stuff out that I dont want people messing with on trips.

A little off topic but... I have an Undercover hard tonneau for 04' Sd. Only costs $600 can be removed in 30 seconds, weighs less than 50lbs, is lockable and a can be stood on. Might want to look at those. I wasn't spending $1800 for a fiberglass topper.

The Avalanche is supposed to ride nice, but if you want a GM product I would look at a 1500 pickup. My $.02.

Thanks for all the responses. If I was to haul dirt and rock I'd proably borrow my old mans trailer. But its good info I'll keep everything in mind. Now to find one for less than 12$ G and keep the wife happy. But then it would have a couple houndred thousand miles and the payment would be big because they wont drag it out to 5 years. It will work out somehow frown