• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Fish this Winter

davemeyer

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My most memorable is a 5 pound eel pout my wife caught up at lake of the woods this year on her first ice fishing trip ever. The look on her face when that thing started to snake out of the hole was classic. adam

2.5# walleye on Lac Qui Parle and 14.5" URL crappie thru the ice. Not real impressive you say?
Well I get out a lot and but that's as good as I've got this year. (not counting URL walleyes)

Caesar, 4 1/2 "s? Still a fine fish indeed! grin.gif Glad to see you made it back home! Now to get the rest of our boys back. I watch the news everyday, it's getting bloodier and bloodier by the day. I'm afraid the USA got into something that they shouldn't have. At least not without haveing to pay a HEAVY PRICE! The new Iraqi police are takeing a heavy hit as well. PS: I'm assumming you just returned from the Gulf.

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 02-17-2004).]

C.I.B.L,
Actually I was in Egypt under the Multinational Force and Observers mission, a peacekeeping mission we have had over there for over 20 years, pretty calm and safe where I was. Left just before open water opener, and got home in time to miss the great early ice bite and half of the hard water season! Lets not forget about our soldiers in Afghanistan either, I have quite a few close friends there as well!! Bring them all home safe, and as soon as possible!

I had one thing in mind for my winter fishing- to master one lake and that's what I did w/Calhoun. Caught my 1st ski although be it 24", largest walleye 26 1/4" w/17" girth, and largest northern being 32". These are not record breaking, but I did manage to consistently catch fish on this lake, which was my whole point. It's kind of fun when you venture out and fish in areas where no one else fishes.
Chow for now,
GF

My best fish came this winter all on one trip. It was over my christmas vacation from college that I spent a morning on a small lake in the brainard area. Not a single house or person on the lake but I tried for walleyes anyway. It was the first time ever fishing the lake and over the course of the morning I caught 13 walleyes ranging in size from 19" to 29". Never experienced anything like this before but the fishing was this good every morning I went out during the course of that week. Havnt been back since I went back to college.

The piker by far, 41.25", just under 24 lbs. Caught on a medium-light and 4 lb. test.

47b4dc33b3127cceb8240c9695830000001610

Walleye: 26.75"
Perch: 12.5"
Bluegill: 10"
Rock Bass: 12.75"
Crappie: 16.25"

It has been a good year, I have three replicas being made this winter, and am looking for a 'gill for the wall now pretty hard. Poor year for size on 'eyes, but the numbers were good.

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
Northcountry Guide Service
[email protected]
-----------------------
Custom Jigs and Spins
Phelps Tackle
Stone Legacy
Ice Leaders

[This message has been edited by Matt Breuer (edited 02-19-2004).]

question? last year when I was fishing lotw we ran into some guys who said they had caught a 22in. perch I had a real hard time believin that one I know we catch some monsters but nothing close is it possable or were they drinking a can of bull

22 inches.....Oh thats got to be plain hogwash. A Perch that size would easily eclipse the state record, and would have been the talk of the towns up here. I have seen some very large Perch pulled out of here but never one even near 20 inches, seen them push close to 18 inches though. Maybe they meant to say Sauger, that would be believable anyways!

fiskyknut