• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Fish this Winter

davemeyer

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pike, 38 inches on a tip-up early ice on Birch Lake near Babbitt. Biggest toothy so far. Caught and released.

Prettiest fish was a 6 lb laker off Gunflint Lake last month on laker opener. Fat and healthy, with a deep bronze color I hadn't seen before. Caught but NOT released. grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Hey Ryan I suppose you get a good late ice bite up that way too. Does the river get bad ice way soon up there and what is kinda typical for a not safe to walk out date?

Always a guess, but I'm curious about the late ice opportunities up there. When does the season close?

Regards....fiskyknut

I have caught a few Walleye around 24-26 inches, I'm slackin this year bad. Perch to near 15"s. The Pike bite is yet to come.

you can fish the river right until the season closes at the last day of march..season re-opens second week in may i believe..fishing can be really hot in mid march when a little extre flow starts happing under the ice.

[This message has been edited by ryan johnson (edited 02-15-2004).]

Well I have nothing up to the sizes you are talking about but managed to land my first walleye/sauger through the ice this winter thanks to some of the guys on the Forum.

Most memorable would be meeting up with a couple of new fishing buddies and sharing the bite.

15lb pike, (CPR) on a suburb lake.

or

15 walleyes in 25 min on a suburb lake.

Both quantity and quality at your back door. What more do you want?

------------------
Let 'em go so they can grow!!!

Best fish through an ice hole was a 28 1/2" walleye caught last tuesday on lake Winnibigoshish. Fished the humps in 17' of water. It tasted oh so good!!! grin.gif Biggest northern was 41" with 3 others in the 38-40" range. Great picklers!!! grin.gif Just kidding! All are swimming just fine. wink.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck