• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The "best" sled type portable?

slick2526

My vote is for Otter. I like my Otter for pulling behind my snowmobile, it is really stable and on smooth trails your gear stays intact pretty well, with some simple mods.

I have 2 otters and for the money wouldn't buy anything else.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also do you guys think your otters pull hard? it wont be often i will be pulling by hand but sometimes i will be.

Depends on what size you are talking about. I have pulled an Otter Lodge by myself. Not a problem on ice or hard packed snow. Little more work with 1-3" of snow (assuming you have hyfax runners). Any more It can be brutal with all your gear - that is why I purchased a one man flipover.

One tip that works for me. Put an extra long pull rope on. When pulling take one side of the rope over your sholder, around your chest and the under your arm pit. Makes it a lot easier to pull using your whole body to pull the rope & keeps your arms free. Mine is long enough so that you can wrap the rope around two pullers if you are fishing with a buddy.

As others have stated, depending on mods, amount of gear and snow, the Otters can be "fun" to pull by hand. I also have a 1 man flipover to use when I'm by myself and can't drive out to the fishing spot.

how do you guys feel about the ice camo fabric compared against fishtrap X thermal and the R2-Tec?

I have decided on a magnum type sled im pretty sure but how many of you have the cabin type and do you like it? Also how much do you think it would cost for the FR120Thinsulate® fabric

to insulate a magnum style portable fabric?

I have the Cabin with bench seat. Many will say it is a big one man, or too small for two. But we can fit two guys and a kid in it (one fat guy, one skinny guy, and a kid) if we have to. Also can fit one fat guy and one big 6'3" guy in it. You do bump elbows a bit, but is not that bad. Two smaller guys would fit with lots of room left over.

What I did was get Reflectix (Fleet Farm) and put it in the ceiling. It stays put, folds down just like normal, adds NO weight, and helps on the heat a ton, and since it is bright, it helps light the place brighter just be being there. Many people here have used it and most if not all love it! Do a search to see pics and advice. $40 roll can do 3 two man, or two 3 man shacks (give or take).

I pull mine by hand mostly, but have also pulled it by sled. I have Jiffy Model 30 (ugh) so it is fairly heavy, but take that auger out and it pulls just fine even in deep snow.

I really liked my bench seat at first, and I still do... but kind of thinking that being able to pull a seat off is going by myself would be nice. It is nice that you can sit anywhere on the bench, or slide around, etc. and the bench it self is actually not too heavy.

Good luck.

Obviously somebody here has been sitting in the Metrodome too long. For those of us who sit outside for cold weather football games (in the playoffs :D), we know that even a piece of card board between your feet and the concrete makes all the difference.

As for all of the posts, thanks for the advice. I'm finally in the market for a portable as well so this thread has been very informative.

One question: where have most of you found the best deals on new houses? The ice shows? Pre-season sales at Gander/Cabelas/etc?

Slick:

It's 900 denier poly on both the Otter Ice Camo and the X2 and a few other Clamcorp houses. The difference is how the seams are sewn and put together (sealed roof seam and window seams with the Otter).

The other durability benefit you get with Otter is in the thickness of sled and stronger poles with the modified square tubing.

I've never had an issue with the older or newer versions!

Joel

I have been using Otter Lodges for a number of years, and I feel there is no other sled portable out there that can perform like an Otter. From the hitch, sled, frame, fishhouse shell and cover...I have no complaints and they have survived brutal temps, terrain and conditions. I'm very mobile with snowmobile/ATV and this house is the way to go, hands down.

Like other's have said, if your style of fishing is dragging a portable by hand everywhere, you may want to look for the smaller, lighter versions like the Cottage or Cabin...or the Wild series packages. I've drug the Lodge around in light snow and it isn't that easy.