• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The "best" sled type portable?

slick2526

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Otter, hands down. I have a decade of Otter rigs under my belt - with another brand mixed in the middle.

I went back to Otter and never regretted it. Excellent customer service, and they flat out hold up to what I dish out.

There are other good units out there, but my current Otter has several hundred miles of towing and use on LOTW, and Ottertail lakes with no problems.

Otters are very top quality. Also look at the Fish Trap X2. Another great choice for quality around the board when looking for a 2-man.

If you're looking for quality and less weight, then look at the original Fish Trap series. I've been running the Fish Trap Yukon and they are easy to pull by hand and I put them to use several times per week with no problems. A little different canvas and sled then your Otter or X2, but still durable...

I run two different fish trap models and they have worked wonders for me. I don't think would go wrong with any of the names mentioned here. Fishtrap, Otter, Frabil all will do you fine. Just look at price and features that you like and go from there.

I have an Otter Den for myself and I bought a FT Pro for my dad. Both are nice units however the Otter sled is much deeper, tougher and sturdier. The otter tent, poles and canvas are heavier and tougher also.

I have owned my Fish Trap Pro for 3 years and absolutely love it. Would love to get the Fish Trap X series down the road but it is a lot more weight for the same size I have now. Normally I wouldn't worry about it but I don't own an ATV or snow mobile to pull it, I pull my sled by hand everywhere I go.

I agre with the above posts, the otters and Fish traps are very well made. With that said, if you are looking to save a few bucks My Frabil Trekker 2 man has served me well for the last 2 years. I am lucky enough to live on a lake and acordding to my notes, I went out 32 days last year and 36 the year before. Thats a minimum of 68 or more setups and take downs. Probably closer to 100. I also trip the milage on my atv at the begining of each season and logged 150 miles with that house behind me and everyting looks good so far. Whatever you decide, absolutly get the cover for it. Very light weight also. If you have the extra $$, I would go for the otters or fishtraps. I will probably do that when I upgrade.

While I admit "best" is hard to define.

I will give another vote to Otter.

I have no problem saying that you will be very happy with anything in the Otter line of products.

There are just some products that no matter how you try to get around it, you “get what you pay for”. Consider that, if this is something you want to keep for many years.

Hands down Otter sled for sure, but I sure like the canvas tops Canvas Crafts have to offer.

They started the whole ball of wax with the flip top on an Otter sled and they have the quality in every thing from windows, zippers, to burn resistant material.

Plus they are an FM sponsor just like Otter smile. Check them out:

Canvas Craft Inc click here!

Over all Otter has the best portables in my opinion.

The sleds are the most durable, the pole design in the new Ice Camo and Ice Blue houses is the smoothest I have ever seen and the canvas is tighter and holds the heat better with its black coated inside. The new windows are a much softer and flexible plastic and dont have cold issues. The new flip up seats make storage easier. Plus my favorite new thing is the Sportsmans Caddy that can hold a ton of tackle and gear as well as hold your pop and munchies while your fishing. It stays mounted by your seat (But Can Come off just as easy as the seats) leaving more room in your sled for other gear.

I actually was out cleaning up my Otter Ice Camo Cabin the other day. I was amazed how little use it showed after a full season of being pulled behind a snowmobile and truck.

As I tel everyone, always get the Hyfax runners for your sled. Its amazing how much these strips save on your sleds. Plus they seem to help the house pull truer.

The St .Paul Ice Fishing Show will surely have some good deals on portables.

... Plus my favorite new thing is the Sportsmans Caddy that can hold a ton of tackle and gear as well as hold your pop and munchies while your fishing. It stays mounted by your seat (But Can Come off just as easy as the seats) leaving more room in your sled for other gear.

I did not see the "sportsmans caddy" on the otter HSOforum. Is this option available, or do you have to get a package to get it??

They have great deals on "discontinued" portables on the HSOforum (green versions of their shacks). May want to check it out, there are big discounts - save over $200 off retail on their packages (sled, tent, seats, sled cover).

Interesting ... They only sell the ice camo and the arctic blue (makes them look like Fish Traps). No more green or purple.

The Wild version is a great value - Don't have any personal experience using one. I sat in one at FF, if you sit too close to the front of the sled - it caused the whole shack to tilt to that side (probably telling me I need to lose weight :-)

I'll be looking for the Otter Sportsmans Caddy at the ice show - always looking for better ways to haul/store equipment for the shack.

I like my Clam Guide for pulling out on foot. Very light but just big enough to get all my stuff and a power auger in it. I didn't mount the second seat so it has plenty of room for one guy. The poles don't slide like they once did, but good enough. I've had it 2 seasons, and should last me for years with proper care.

I would say a lot depends on your style of fishing. Are you going to be pulling the unit behind a snowmobile or wheeler? How often do you plan on using it? Are you a run and gunner or more of a sitter? I have owned both an Otter and now a Clam Yukon. Both units are top notch in my book. There are a lot of pros and cons on each unit...depending on how you plan on using it. I switched to the Yukon because it fit better in the back of my truck...but I miss the sled style on the Otter for hauling capacity. Lots of things to think about before you spend all that sort of money. Good luck in your search.

Cliffy