• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Juices

fishingbuddy

Okay weigh in! My fishing buddy and I had one of those about life conversations in the fish house. What gets your juices flowing more? A bobber going down or a tick or tingle of the rattle reel? No right or wrong answer but we picked the bobber after much debate!!!!!!!

fishingbuddy,
I'm sure I didn't give it as much thought but I'm going with the bobber going down. There isn't much better then seeing the bobber slip under the ice before the set. smile.gif
Take care, BD110

[This message has been edited by BD110 (edited 02-14-2004).]

Yep, seeing that bobber lay on its side or slowly start to sink is pretty awesome. I like when I'm open water fishing on a weed bed and when I look up by bobber is under, reel up the slack and set the hook!

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy

I once told a friend that it seemed that a tip-up flag could draw a crowd quicker than a nekked gurl servin free beer. And a Crappie slowly pulling an Ice Buster down is a rush. BUT, my biggest thrill is jigging a spoon and having some toothy critter try to tear the rod out of your hand.

I don't know about you folks but I can be in total rim sleep and the slightest tingle of a bell in the rattle wheel and I pop up like you stabbed me in the buttocks with a frog spear. Fumble around in the dark for the light switch to see which hole is hot jump over there just in time to see the bobber disappearing past the lower edge of the hole gets me revved up all the time

For me it's the flag, too. Got mine rigged with jingle bells, so the sound of Santa Claus is truly a Christmas gift all winter long. Also have them rigged with reflective tape for night fishing. Hear the bells, shine the light around, catch the glow. Ahhhh . . . grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

i'm going to go with the slightest slow tingle of a rattle reel. when that sort of eery sound wakes you up in early morning and the excitement builds watching the bobber slowly dissapear under the ice. Wondering if and hoping it is a trophy, thats what gets my heart pumping.

[This message has been edited by lexingtonfisherman (edited 02-15-2004).]

I vote for MTBucket's write-in candidate - feeling that line twitch on your finger is it! Bobbers dunking are a close second. Half the time I fish w/o bobber by feel - much more exciting, prob because of that direct hand-to-fish connection. As for most fun vs. most exciting, the most fun is yelling "Flag!", the best fire drill in the world.

Does anyone else's nerves go tighter than guitar strings when you drop a bait down a hole and see red lines (on your Vexilar) racing up from the bottom, even though the bait is still five or six feet above the bottom?

Ever notice how when a rattle reel starts to do it's thing how quiet it becomes in the shack ? You could be in the middle of the biggest argument, laughin fit, talk session etc. but let that rattle reel tick just once and it becomes dead silent in less than a heartbeat. LOL
Rattle real , bobber down or flag ? That's a toughy but I'd have to go with bobber going down. Just somthing about it.

For me it's the thump of a fish on the end of a jigging stick. Nothing better than the feel of a good knock at the other end of the line. I do like seeing the bobber bounce, but not nearly as much as feeling "the thump."

------------------
Scoot

So I got dat goin’ for me… which is nice.

This is an excellent question, but I would have to go with a tip-up flag first. Nothing like a couple of flags going up at once and the mass of humanity trying to pile out of a fish house almost like a three stooges episode. Number 2 I would go with a bobber going down that will definatly raise your blood pressure a couple of notches the third I would say the twitch of a line or when a slime rocket attempts to rip the pole out of your hand that is more of a what just happened here, the gradual building excitment of a tip-up or bobber is hard to put into words your hands get sweaty your pulse increases your eyes get as big as saucers and you wait for just the right moment and then pounce on the rod or tip-up like a cat catching his prey. Makes me want to leave work right now and go ice fishing.

i have to go with a tip "DOWN". what i do is find an old ice fishing pole and rig them up so they balance on a piece of conduit pipe. throw a crappie minnow on it and start fishing. they work best when it's not to cold out because you don't want the holes freezing over. watching that pole slowly go down is pretty awesome and you don't need to be to close to it.

I absolutely love that text book "THUD" on a jig, telling you a big walleye just swallowed your bait whole!!!!!!!!!!

There is not doubt it's big, and theres not doubt that your hook set is going to be rock hard (Al Linder style hook set.......Man that guy has no mercy on his fish when he sets the hook). When you set the hook, all you hear is drag scream, because you didn't even give the fishes head a nudge.

That is the feeling I love; spring, summer, fall, or winter!!!!!!

------------------
Let 'em go so they can grow!!!

The rattle reel with a bobber on it. Nothing is better than hearing the rattle and getting your attention, then going over to the hole just to see that bobber go slowly down the hole.
Thats what gets the juices flowing.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300

You have to admit, when you have a big sucker or smelt on a tip up, the flag goes, and as you walk up to it.........it builds enough spinning speed to almost make the tip-up hover. You know you have a pig on the other end!!!!!!

------------------
Let 'em go so they can grow!!!

one word gets my heart racing "fishin." I dont' care about seeing bobbers go down or flags goin up. Just bein outdoors gets my heart racin you can't beat the great outdoors. Fish are a plus not expected