• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strikemaster Lite Power Auger Question

WinterHaven

I know that this auger has been debated alot over the last 2 years or so but I will be purchasing a new power auger this winter and just had a quick question to ask before I committ to one.

I have read over the last couple of years that people who have owned one of these had problems with starting them, blowing gaskets and blowing oil everywhere when they were running.

From what I understand is that alot of these problems were taken care of on the newer models. So my question is, does anyone have the newer models and did they take care of some of these problems if not all of them? I would really like to get this but will not spend $500.00 if they are still having the engine problems.

I really don't like the idea of them not starting very well and taking about 5 minutes to warm up to operate properly after finally getting them started in colder temps. This was one of the problems when they first came out. If anyone could shed some light on this I would really appreciate it.

I ran a new StrikeLite last winter and didn't encounter any problems. I plan to run one again this winter. As far as blown gaskets and oil is concerned, I really haven't heard too much about that particular problem. The only issues I've seen are broken shafts. Most of this is due to slamming the auger on the ice to free ice particles or clear a hole, it can also be caused by tossing it in the truck and whatnot. General use typically won't cause the shafts of these augers to break.

For the most part, the actual engine of these 4-strokes have been great. We didn't have any come back last winter at Thorne Bros, and talking with the people at Strike Master I've heard that very few even came back to the shop... and again, most of those mishaps were from broken shafts from abuse...

I'll be spending some time at Strike Master today and I'll address some of these concerns and get back to everyone...

If you do run into problems with your strikemaster give them a call. They have great customer service. I had one of their old 3 blade augers. The blades would go dull very quickly. I read online here that they would replace the lower end free of charge with a two blade unit. I drove up to their office and made the exchange. Couldn't be happier with the new part. The guy there told me the 3 blade idea was good on paper but didn't work out on the ice all that well. It's nice to have a company admit when their wrong and fix the mistake.

Motor issues haven't been the problem. Sure a few occur here and there, but when several hundred augers (even thousands) go out the door you're bound to have one or two. Word I got was that all the issues (minor as they are) have been dealt with and the line of StrikeLites for the 2008-2009 season are going to make you smile once again smile

I assembled some augers today at the StrikeMaster headquarters and got the chance to chat with a few of the mechanics/builders. They sure take pride in their augers and they mean business when dotting their "I's" and crossing their "T's." Every auger gets inspected and every auger gets looked at by a line of people. It's quite the operation and its no wonder why StrikeMaster makes such incredbile augers!

And like mentioned above, StrikeMaster's custom service is second to none in my opinion. Cy knows his stuff and he'll be sure you come out happy. The whole crew there puts an emphasis on customer relations, a great group!

I'll be running a StrikeLite again this winter... I like to run while out on the ice! smile

Some of the blowing or leaking problems were when too much oil was put in the crank case use 3/4 of the bottle.

Customer service rocks Mike knows his stuff.

Not sure I would be mixing powerheads and augers at the factory they match them for a reason.

Weight, speed, chipper,

fishing red two years ago are only auger broke the flights off. i decided to trade my head off for a 224 for piece of mine even though never had problems with mine. the 224 might be a little faster but a litle heavier too. when i traded my head in the guy told me he didnt really recommend the extension on the strike lite because the thick ice was causing most of the problems and that he used a lazer for thick ice.