• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2008 Fall Sturgeon Season

DTro

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: LFC
Nice...... I guess it was a wee bit chilly.

I was in a T-shirt till sundown. We left at 9:00. Must have gotten a lot cooler after we left, or Shamu is a wuss smile

I'm pretty sure it's that Shamu is a wuss smile

It was odd. I must have changed my jacket/coat 4 times, depending on the wind. I'm guessing that was one of the windy times when Shamu caught that one.

Had another really fun night last night with WWG. Fished for 5 hours and caught 18 Sturgeon and 4 Channels.

Biggest was a 53 that I caught and (2) 46's by John

007.jpg

012.jpg

Here's thinking outside the box

013.jpg

I had 3 split shot about a foot from the hook. Then set the bobber so the split shot were just barely above the bottom (a couple inches tops).....that way I knew the bait was on the bottom.

Probably wouldn't work good in the wind......

When are you getting out again??

Originally Posted By: wastewaterguru

When are you getting out again??

Otherwise, it'll be next week.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Sunday the last day?

*edit*

what a dope I am. I posted the dates in the first post.

Wednesday is the last day....game on!!

Well I thought I would post this for Sandmandd. The 2 of us went out tonight I think it was 5 we pulled in, rather slow tonght.

Biggest one was a 47inch witch Sandmannd pulled in. Nice fish to start of with there Shane, congrats. Was sure nice to finaly meet you had a great time. Ill send you a picture via email.IMG_0033-1.jpge

Hey guys. Just because the Lake Sturgeon season is closing doesn't mean the Shovelnose Sturgeon season is over. In fact, it's open all year with bonus fish of small to large (boat best this year 19 pound) Channels and Flatheads (30 pound best at the dam in 08) to boot.

Pool 4, below Lock and Dam #3 is starting to fill up with walleye guys during the day. Most are cleared out by 6 pm and more than likely, you'll find yourself alone after dark...unless I'm there.

And the Shovels are on the bite!

Remember....

Catfisherman Own the Night!

1223789752-doubleshovelperteranjoe.jpg

WWG, they are fun on lighter gear...but then you'll have your hands full when a 15 pound channel or 30 pound flat comes a knocking!

The Polo jackets are PFD's. Ralph just picked one up in a differant color, but has the same 3m reflective material. They have the jacket as pictured which the sleeved zip off to make it a vest. Then the complete outer shell comes off to make it a light weight comfortable PFD.

I don't sell them, but Peter, the fella pictured on the left bought one after fishing in one that night.

The Polo jackets are PFD's. Ralph just picked one up in a differant color, but has the same 3m reflective material. They have the jacket as pictured which the sleeved zip off to make it a vest. Then the complete outer shell comes off to make it a light weight comfortable PFD.

Correction, Ralph just picked up three--one for himself, one for the wife, and one for any other lucky passenger in his boat. smile

Shackbash and I got out last night. I was a bit leary with the massive cold front that passed through recently, but you can't catch them if you don't try. We got on the water about 4:30 and fished until 11:00. The weather was surprisingly pleasant. Just a slight breeze--enough to push us upstream against the current.

We started the evening off with a near double within the first half hour. We had slow but steady action. Things tapered off after dark, so I decided to move to a new location. We sat there for a while with no bites for nearly an hour, but things started heating up around 10:00. We had great action from 10:00-11:00 when we decided to pack it in for the night.

We ended up boating 11 fish. Shackbash outfished me nearly two to one. Our biggest went 47" and we had several more in the mid 40" range.

Lots of fun and a good way to end my fall sturgeon season!

Shack gets on board with his first sturgeon on '08

Sturge1.jpg

Ralph models his new Float Tech jacket with a 44"

Sturge7.jpg

Shack with a mid-40" fish

Sturge5.jpg

Shack finishes the night with a 47" fish at the buzzer

Sturge8.jpg

Nice fish guys!

I had a hunch that they might start to pick up later last night, but we stayed close to home and chased some walleyes instead.

We were out there on Monday night, right as the front pushed through, and had one of the slowest nights of the year.

I bet tonight could be pretty good wink I have all my gear with me and ready to go.