• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2008 Fall Sturgeon Season

DTro

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: dtro
The same depth you were anchored at when we crossed paths recently winkgrin

Good answer. Thanks. I'll be out there Friday night till Sat morning. Anybody else?

We might be seeing you out there if were in the area. Time to get one last shot before season winds down.

Had a really fun night out there last night. We ended up with 21 fish I think. A handful over 40 and then just as we were packing up Steve D showed us all how it was done by landing an absolute bruiser of a fish! It took him long enough to land it that we were able to catch 3 more other fish in the meantime. Things got a little dicey when it the big girl found three other lines + the anchor rope, which meant we had to do a little hand lining action to get her aboard. Just an awesome fish!

We were using Golden Shiners and Shad, and there wasn’t a real preference…..except for that the Shiners were the hot bait for Carp grin

Thanks Steve that was a lot of fun!!

Wow, sounds like you guys had a fun night. We ened up went 11 and our biggest was 48.5". Most of the fish were mid 30's. We had a few carps like our fatheads as well. Not a bad bonus fish, cz they were all bigguns too.

Yeah it was a great time.

I'll let Steve share the details of his fish, but I will say it was the biggest I've personally seen out there, and pretty sure it was his PB!

It was really a beautiful night for sturgeon fishing. There was a light wind out of the west and not that bad although a little cool toward the end. We got a total of 21 sturgeon for 4 guys fishing (Chris 5; Darren 6; Steve 3; Brian 6 sturgeon and 1 big carp). We used shiners and shad and the fish were about evenly split on both baits (11 on shad; 9 sturgeon and 1 carp on shiners).

My last fish was a beauty measuring 59" long with a 21" girth. At first I thought it was a small fish because it came in very easy and then it rocketed out of the water along side the boat and took off where ever it wanted to go. It ended up fouling two other lines and the back anchor rope. Thanks to Darren and Brian for untangling the mess. It was really a great night of fishing.

8Oct083.jpg

Great fish! What time did you guys call it a night?

Well we set a hard deadline at 11PM. That fish hit at about 10:50 and by the time it was landed, pictures, clean up mess, it was after 11:30.

We usually keep our leaders approx 12" long. Not sure it really matters a whole lot. I know guys who catch a lot of them on a big jig (no leader) and then with leaders all the way to 36".

Depth was anywhere from 25-40ft.

Congratulations Steve,

Shamu and I witnessed that fish. It was neat how it came completely out of the water when it realized it was hooked, and what a team effort to land it. I thought it was gone for sure.

We ended up with 8 the biggest being 44”. I had a simultaneous double on both my rods. All and all it was a fun night.