• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2008 Fall Sturgeon Season

DTro

I have a garage door opener, entry door, closet door, flooring project, and small siding job that says I won't be seeing that river anytime soon this fall. frown

Plus, you have to come over and install the swing-tongue on my trailer for me smile

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice!!

I have a garage door opener, entry door, closet door, flooring project, and small siding job that says I won't be seeing that river anytime soon this fall. frown

Sounds like somebody has a new house? Ahh, the joys of homeownership.

I tell ya what, these Sturgeon are a funny fish to figure out. There are times when you can do no wrong, and times you can do no right. Quite a lot like other species, but it seems more prevalent with Sturgeon.

And why are doubles so common? If you are fighting a fish, you best keep a keen eye on all other poles in the boat, because it seems like they always gets bit when you are fighting a fish. I think it happened like 6 or 7 times last night. Heck on Tues, I almost lost a pole watching John fight a fish.

A guy really forgets how impressively hard these fish fight. IMO no other species in the state even comes close.

Two true doubles and a couple of hard bites while other fish were being caught.......then nothing in between for 20 minutes or so.......

Seems like more than a coincidence.

14 fish last night with a 44 and a 40 as the top fish......which were caught as a true double! About 30 seconds apart on the hooksets.....and an absolute blast with both of us dodging the other rods and the two anchors at the same time.

The 40 I got was on a piece of cut shad...(Thanks Phil).

As with a lot of things this year, the Sturgeon bite sure seem to be a few weeks behind schedule.

The bite has finally picked up with only a week to go in the season.

Spent a late night out there with Shamu, WWG, and Capt Fireman. We ended up with 26 fish the biggest being 47" and another handful over 40.

Thanks again Andy, that was a lot of fun!

001.jpg

wwg.jpg

This poor guy not only had a Lamprey on it's head, he also got a bad nose job

nose.jpg

This is kind of cool:

Very nice fish guys! Glad to see you guys are gett'in on them.

Had to pass up a trip yesterday on the Croix North for sturgies and flats, because I had to play Mr. Mom and let mommy go out with friends frown

Ah, well. I am saving up my GOOJ free cards for ice time right now grin

Looks like the evenning is what is happeng right now. Ilove it when they jump like that.

I know you know but for the newcombers the small sturgeon was a shovelnose stureon witch run smaller than the lake sturgeon. The differance you can tell buy the narrower and upturn to the nose and also you can tell buy the two rows of spines on the belly the shavel nose has.

To be honest I really didnt know the differance till this year. This year was the first time I caught a shovelnose and has been 4 so far.

Actually, that is a Lake Sturgeon. I've never caught a Shovelnose on the Croix. I catch them quite regularly on the Minnesota though.

They are quite obvious when you catch them. The tail section is pencil thin and the head is very wide.

20a1.jpg

Cool, Thank thank you for correcting me, Sorry all, on bad info. Do the bigger ones lose those double rows of spines down the belly as they mature because I didnt notice them on the bigger ones. Must be a defense system when younger

You definatly can see the differance there.

Their spines become very less noticeable the bigger they get. You will be surprised how much different a shovelnose looks when you catch it. No mistaken.

You will will immediately say to yourself, "what the heck is this?"

smile

Look for areas that neck down and depths from 30-50 ft. If you look at a contour map or GPS chip, these areas really pop out at you. Crawlers seem to be a good locater bait, but most of the bigger fish I've seen come on some sort of meat (fathead, shiner, shad etc). Being patient is key, these fish move around and you can have no action for a couple hours and then can't keep them off your line the next couple hours.