• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

things kids say

I am sure you ladies would like to here this story. I kinda giggled when my daughter said it. We went down to rochester to do some shopping. We stopped at the fleet farm to get gas and my daughter says I want to go look at fishing stuff. We weren't planning to stop at the store but we did since she wanted to. She is only 4 so we went in the store and she had to ask one of the associates were the "fishing stuff was". We were walking through the isles and she was taking everything off the shelves and sticking it into the cart. She was taking bucktales,minnoe net and anything she could find. We ended taking most of the stuff out and conviced her to get her OWN tackle box. When we go fishing I rig her up and when she gets a fish on, she says I am a fish slayer and daddy is not. My wife just laughs because when we go out she out fishes me every time. Man the memories are great. I think we are on the the right track with this little one. When also have a son who is two who likes to go on "boat rides" as he calls them.

Awesome start to a lifetime of appreciating the outdoors and our natural resources. I am glad to hear that you and your wife take the kids out - no couch potatoes!!!

Make sure and take lots of pictures to look back on. She may not remember all of the times, but having the photos will bring back the stories.

Keep having fun!!

Anyone who's taken kids out fishing knows that you are more of a guide when with young ones and you don't get to fish much. I'm fine with that cause I'd rather have my kids learn things the right way rather than her me say "hld on hunny, dady's fishing".

My youngest was 3 when she asked me "Dad, how come the girls always catch all the fish?" To which my 6yd old added, " You're a good teacher, but you never catch alot of fish."

Thats probably the best compliment I could've gotten.

Congrats on taking your kids fishing.

the first time I brought my daughter fishing she was two weeks old. It was shore fishing so we didn't have to worry to much. My wife dedided to feed my daugher so she went to the car to feed her and the dnr shows up. We couldn't see the car so when they approched my buddy and I was thinking that they had a sight to see when my wife was feeding her. They asked me if that was my daughter and wife in the car. I said yes. I don't know why they even asked me that. When I decided to let my daughter fish for herself we bought her a snoopy pole and she caught this huge sunny. She reeled it in, then she gave me the pole and ran off the dock scared of a little sunny. I just laughed. Then she wanted me to fish we her pole which I did. Guys please share your stories too

My brother is a pretty good Dad. He is recovering from achilles tendon surgery and still decided to take his daughter fishing. He got a license, some tackle and a couple of rods and took her shore fishing in Pelican Rapids. First cast he hooks a fish and failing to mention the hookup tells her he needs to adjust his cast and asks her to reel in his line. She gets it about ten yards from shore and this northern jumps out of the water. She screams and throws the rod down, which lands in the water. The poor cripple had to go in after it. He DID see the humor in it though.

i took my little girl to a trout hatchery when she was 3. she took one look into the raceway, and took off running for the car.

"where are you going?" i asked.

"i have to get my fishing pole." was ella's matter of fact response.

i laughed and was able to talk her into just looking and feeding the trout.001.jpg

My wife dedided to feed my daugher so she went to the car to feed her and the dnr shows up. We couldn't see the car so when they approched my buddy and I was thinking that they had a sight to see when my wife was feeding her. They asked me if that was my daughter and wife in the car. I said yes. I don't know why they even asked me that.

And I don't know why YOU mentioned THAT as I don't see how it relates to the topic. Guess it's one of those "You had to be there...."

Kids and fish often begin when our little ones chase minnows at beaches. If the parents or other folks are able to progress that to actual catching of sunnies, perch or other well populated specie, then generally the kids are HOOKED! As the old saying goes, kids who fish and hunt don't steal old ladies purses!

Quote:
kids who fish and hunt don't steal old ladies purses!
Very good quote gatorhunter. I totally agree!

My son isn't into sitting in a boat all day. Everytime he goes though he ends up with a nice fish. Usually, with his fishing rod bent in half, he exclaims, "I think I have a bite." It's funny! grin