• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WA Wabull

HugoBox

Picked one up from Aaron (great service as usual) and used it a bit this weekend but ripping it like a Reef Hawg didn't seem to be the ticket. I dig the looks and the weight as I think I could work it deep if need be, I just never quite got the cadence down. What have the rest of you found to be an effective way to work it?

Hugo,

Haven't used a WA yet. But the regular Wabull and other similar baits aren't ones where a hard jerk like a Reef Hawg will give the desired action. You can work it a number of different ways. But I would try a more subtle approach. More twitches than hard pulls or rips. I like to work baits like that with softer taps and twitches, varying how hard and how often within the same retrieve. A hard pull occasionally to get the bait to jump a bit and get a reaction strike can sometimes work too. More on working the bait...sometimes letting the crank of the reel do most of the work can be effective as well. Hard to describe what I mean by that, but hopefully you know what I mean or someone else can explain it better.

Definitely try to change it up and try different things. But go more subtle with your approach than it sounds like you've tried so far.

Thanks,

Aaron

Brotherly love at it's finest.......

I was out with Muskie Mojo last year and he was working the Wabull with a slow motion, almost getting a slow side to side swing along the lines a Hellhound.

Think of it like a Weagle only sumberged, and let it swing WTD style and move thru the water.

You'll like the bait, little practice and you got it, one of Mojo's buddies out in Utah loves the Baby Wabull for the tigers!

Originally Posted By: HugoBox
I did the looks and the weight as I think I could work it deep if need be, I just never quite got the cadence down.

Wow, that is a big word for you. I'm proud wink

I'm impressed you could read a word that big. If I let you use my Curado maybe I can get you to stop fishing for bait. You'll be a muskie snob like me someday!! smile

I fish my Wabull's just like a Weegle, in a submerged walk the dog presentation. I like mine a lot and have moved a few fish with it this year, caught one tiger with it a few weeks ago. As someone else posted earlier, fish it like a Hellhound or any other glide bait. But the thing that makes a Wabull different is that it seems more erratic than a typical glide bait. It does a "belly roll" often and jumps up and down rather than a clean side to side only presentation. I have just one Wabull, in a walleye pattern and the belly roll really give this bait a dying or struggling fish look. I see it as offering a nice changeup from your typical glide baits. As with any bait, you need to use it to first figure our how it acts w/twitches & retrieves but also using it will give you more confidence.

An update to my previous post on this Wabull topic. As I said before, I have just one Wabull, the big one. Out fishing today with my Bro in Law, he has the small Wabull. I really noticed a difference in the action from the big to the small baits. They do the same thing, but I found working the small Wabull much more difficult than my big one. I typically cast out with my big Wabull, count it down to the desired depth and WTD, it always runs below the surface. But the small one, I fished it the same as the big one but seemed to have it run up to the surface. Do you guys have this same experience? The action is still great but I found that I needed to work it a bit different (less aggressive) than the big Wabull.