• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

AWESOME LEECH LAKE VACATION

fishgutz77

We have been going to leech lake for about 10 years now for our family vacation. There has been some good years and some lean years as far as the fishing goes but this year was just outstanding. Not only has leech comeback in a big way but the surrounding lakes are really a bonus if you take the time to check them out. Here are some photo's of our week on leech and a couple other lakes.

Gerrywalleye8-28.jpg

big walleye of the trip was this released 26" on leadcore and diawa minnow.

Gerrynorthern8-28.jpg

This was not the biggest northern of the trip but was still a nice fish at 33" We had one other northern that was 35" that hit a 10" Jake.

whitefishonKabekona8-22.jpg

I took These young guns over to Lake Kabekona on a afternoon looking for lakers and wound up bending rods on some really nice whitefish that we brined and later smoked that same week. It was great to see these kids fight these fish.

gerrywalleyeatnight2.jpg

Then one night my daughter katie and I went out trolling in Walker bay and we boated 17 walleyes that night here are a couple of the fish that were released at 21 and 22"s

Katiewithwalleye8-27.jpg

The resort owner suggested we go over to Bad Medicine and have a go at some rainbows this is his boy with a nice 16" fish we got that day. we missed several and kept 3 to eat.

Drewrainbow8-25.jpg

And finally one more walleye that came on a great night troll on walker again. I took my two kids and a freind out and between the four of us we boated 26 eyes that night and kept four nice eaters and released 5 over fish and many smaller fish.

Gerrywalleye8-272.jpg

Great weather, Great lake and Great resort.

Congrats on the great vacation ... It is always great to have success fishing, but even better if you can do it with the family!

P.S. sweet looking boat! Looks like a great rig for the fishing you were doing.

Right you are Pike Bay,

I had heard that the cormerant problem had destroyed the lake for several years. Glad to hear it is back, not that I fish it but glad for the people who live in the area, work in the area businesses and the vacation goers who visit the lake. Now maybe they will stay off Cass Lake!!! LOL

Windy

Most rainbows were taken with small spoons 38' down over 50-60 fow at 2.0 mph. I took the my wife Margo back on tuesday and we caught 4 and one was a 19" fat dog. We had one really nice one right to the boat and it snapped the line with a clown husky jerk attached

Your love is like bad medicine

Bad medicine is what I need

Shake it up, just like bad medicine

Nice fish Gutz!

Great story, great pics, great trip.

I can't believe how many people are missing out on Leech. It's amazing how people follow the crowds as far as fishing destination lakes. There were/are great bites on Red and Mille Lacs, but when they slow down people keep going and miss out on some great fishing. The quiet minority that keep talking about the great fishing on Leech, including the Governor's opener last year, are tuned out. Get up there and support that economy, they are ready for you and so are the fish!

Hey Gutz, when you caught those whitefish were you downrigging with the stinger spoons or something else? Still looking at finding a reliable method to target those things. Any help would be appreciated. Sounds like you had a great time with many quality fish caught. Great job bringing out the kids!

Tunrevir~

Those whitefish were all 40-55 down over 60-100 fow and the small stinger spoons worked great. best color was the boy/girl which is blue and pink on a gold spoon. I'm going to try a small spinner with single hook and piece of crawler next time to see if I can entice somemore bites. Down riggers are the ticket and we used 14# test about 30-40 back. be sure to get the light releases so they will pop up the rods. good luck. this also worked on other lakes as well.