• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Single shot rifles?

marbleye

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a single shot rifle out there. (No Hammer) I have a 12 yr old son that will be deer hunting this year. I was thinking of a .243. I have 30.06 for him when he gets older. I would like to use this .243 for preditor hunting also. I just don't like guns with hammers for a first time hunter..

Thanks for any feedback..

Marbleye

Remington model spr-18 is a single shot available in several popular calibers. This is an imported rifle and the overall quality may not be as good as what is expected from Remington. If you wnt to spend some more you could also look at Ruger's #1 series of rifles.

I know Ruger makes a falling/rolling block (??) single shot, that once the bullet is in it has a typical safety mechanism. My guess is they are fairly spendy though. Other brands have them as well. Good luck. Otherwise can you get a bolt action iwth a clip, but just not use the clip? Mine is a Rem model 700 ADL, so no clip, so not sure. Otherwise you can just use a bolt action, but only put one cartridge in at a time... just a thought. That's what I would do, I think.

for less than 400 bucks, you can get him/you a 243 savage combo with a scope. Look through the used racks as well, you find some deals there as well. Of course, to make it a single shot, just load one bullet in the magazine and close the bolt. Stevens model 200 has been getting some good reviews as well. if you are looking to spend under 2 hundy, I am not sure if you will get a hammerless model. the savge 243 will last for many many years...........

A good gunsmith can solder the magazine on any bolt action to convert to a single shot. If he does it right, the solder can be reversed later.

The Ruger #1 is a good guy. I have not added one to my collection yet - but it is on the list.

A friend of mine from Illinois is a retired Gunner's Mate in the Navy and is a gun fanatic. He foten shoots in long range competitions.

One thing he told me is he can't believe that people have been shooting rifles wrong all this time. What he meant is he's right handed but shoots a left handed rifle. He can keep his grip with his right hand and work the bolt with his left hand.

If this is still out of the question, I have a Thompson Center G2 Contender in .223 that is the most ergonomically fit rifle I have ever shot. I realize you're looking for something for deer, but the TC line is a sweet shooting lines of rifles.

I too seen your request for a no hammer rifle but I have to put my vote in as well for a Thompson Center Encore. Although most you will find come standard with the muzzloader barrel, you can by countless caliber rifle barrels for pretty decent prices. This leaves a ton of options on the table for future use..muzzloading, varmints, deer,ect. They also offer a nice assortment of shotgun barrels for the Encore that make really nice single shots for beginners. It's a nice way to have alot of options without having to have a seperate gun for each application. 2 Minutes 2 screws 1 pin and you have a different gun! I have had mine for 4 years now and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Good Luck with whatever you decide!

My son is left handed and I am right handed. I bought him a left handed Rem 700 SPS Youth 7mm08. For me it is basically a single shot, for him it will be a repeater.

Since you are LH I'd go that route. It would be a repeater for you and a single shot for him.

They make 'em in a .243 too ...

When he's older let him graduate to a RH bolt gun with a full size stock.

Idk about single shots, but i know the .270 is a good caliber for any hunter and even better for a youngster. Not too much kick, but plenty to put the animal down. I have a bolt-action Remmington model 700 in .270. It put me back close to $700 though. That might be a bit steep for your purposes. Another thing you might want to look at is ammo prices. They are on the rise, and it can really almost make a decision for you. Thats why I went for the .270 over the 7mm.