• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nebraska Ice Fishing?

jerkin'm

if you can find safe ice...good luck...go for it. there is a NICE fishing lake up on West Center Road and 166th st. I dunno what the name of it is but it is killer for crappie and smallmouth in the summer. I went to college in Omaha, NE. Made the best out of it, not much good fishing down there.

I've been fishing southeast Nebraska's small lakes & farmponds this month. Our supercold temperatures didn't come until after a couple of snow dumps, so there's plenty of slush on top of good ice in the eastern third of the state.

We've been catching bluegill, bass, & crappie. Size depends upon the body of water.

If you're going to be driving I-80 between Grand Island and Ogallala, you may want to try some of the sandpits (public) that are along the hiway. Again, the species & size depends upon which puddle you're fishing.

I live on the Lake Zorinsky, the one kodiak is talking about. I fish there everyday in the summer and I know there are no smallmouth. The best fishing all year is during November for largemouth and walleye. I've only been on the ice few times this year on Zorinsky but some guy caught a very large walleye and everyone can catch catfish. There are some decent crappie but the smaller outnumber the large 100 to 1.

I don't know anything good enough to be secretive about it. I fished the I-80 lakes when I was younger and lived in that part of the state. If I were doing as you are planning, and fishing them cold (if you'll excuse the expression), I would fish the ones where other fishermen are fishing.

The bigger lake at the Minden interchange is stocked with catch & release trout, so there are almost always fishermen there.

I don't have any real interest in stocker trout, so I would hit & run, using the Vexilar, one rod rigged with a jig & waxworm, and the other a deadstick with a minnow. I'd fish one interchange to the next until I found fish that interested me.

I believe there are several I-80 lakes between North Platte & Ogallala that have decent-sized panfish, if you can find them.