• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pulling portables with Snowmobiles?

Shake'em

When using a solid towbar to pull a portable with a snowmobile, what does everyone use to attach the towbar to the snowmobile. I am looking into having something made that clamps onto the bumper of the snowmobile, allowing me to use a hitchpin to connect my towbar to the sled. How do the rest of you accomplish this? I would like to make something that clamps securely onto the bumper, making sure I don't scratch the sled at all. I don't own a snowmobile, so a permanent hitch is not an option. Will be borrowing a relatives sled for our trip to LOW.

One idea we had is to use a 3" piece of square tube steel. cut it in half the long way. Then weld a hinge on one side, allowing us to open it, and secure it over the bumper of the snowmobile somehow...

Any suggestions are appreciated...

Thanks,
Shake'em

Shake'em,
You can buy a hitch from Den**s K**K out ouf RUsh city. THey typically use 2 U bolts over the rear grab bar/ bumper that holds a piece of plate steel with a hole in it to attach the hitch. Hope this helps.

I have a Bearcat which has a tow plate. I tow a Frabill XLTwin. One thing I have added is a safety chain after losing the thing a couple times at night. The tow bar can cause the pin to move up and out of the holes. Even had problems with the hitch pins that have the spring clip. But that safety chain sure ended the problem.

Shake'em,
I use the same setup as Bigswede. I just cut a hitch out of 1/4 steel plate and use 2 U bolts to attach it to the bumper. It's real strong. I pull everything from calf sleds during calving to the kids on innertubes. I guess if you're really worried about scratching the bumper you could put a piece of innertube between the plate and bumper before you tighten it up. Have fun at LOW.
Les