• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

True Fire mechanicals

fishinmajishin

I bought a set of three the other day. They are nice. I saw a commercial on the outdoor channel about them and it got me to thinking about the rubber bands on my other ones. Went out and checked them and sure enough one of the bands had broke. I ordered the tru-fire the following day. 100gr. Have not shot as of yet but will give them a try soon.

Colonel...did you buy the practice heads? I see you can buy the 2 practice heads for another $18. Rage gives you one for "free". I'm going to stick my rage heads for now, but will keep my ears open to future opinions. The Tru Fire look like a good design...blades actually lock open.

No I didn't buy the practice blades. I normally shoot my practice tips all the time and right before I go out I use one of the hunting tips and have not had any flight chages due to using broadheads. Where I hunt I'm lucky to get a 25 yard shot and my Mathews Switchback XT shoots both practice tips and broadheads really close. 100 gr. In fact I shot the Tru-fires last night at 20 and 30 and was very happy with the flight and the placement.

You may want to check out the hunting regs regarding broadheads. It says that any broadhead with a barbed design is illegal. The blades need to fold back forward when the arrow is pulled. I was also told by the local sportshop that these are illegal in Minnesota. Just something you may want to look into. Good luck hunting.

Btian

SXViper

Now you have me thinking!!! I looked at the regs and this is all I found:

Arrowheads used for taking big game must be sharp, have a minimum of two metal cutting edges, be of barbless broadhead design, and have a diameter of at least ⅞ inch.

• “Expandable” broadheads may be used to take big game if they meet the requirements above and: 1) are at least ⅞ inch in width and no more than 2 inches in width at or after impact; and 2) are of a barbless

design and function in a barbless manner.

What I'm wondering is what is concidered barbless??? Any ideas

I don't know what youre definition of Barbed is, but there is nothing about needing to fold-forward. I fixed blade broadhead doesn't pull back through an animal any easier than these mechanicals would.

Rage mechs were very popular last year and I heard nothing about any possible violations with them.

I'm sure with all the recent reg. changes they would have addressed the rear-deploying broadheads if they were in question.

I ma not sure on the definition of barbed either. This is just what the local Sport shop owner told me. The Rage broadheads are different that the tru-fires. Once deployed the blades on the rage will fold forward for easier arrow removal. On the tru-fires and also the G% Tekans the blades are locked out and will not fold forward. I beg to differ on the tru-fire pulling out as easy as a fixed blade. If you look at them you think there is no way of pulling them out without breaking the blades off.

Brian