• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Poor access to local lakes

Blinkin2c

With all the money the DNR has to put public accesses in how come they can only maintain them in the summer? Don't they know that allowing the ice to pile up will destroy their once usable boat ramps? If your looking for an example just check out lake Lida or Lizzie.

Maintaining an access in the winter is an expensive proposition; unless someone is willing to work on it on a daily basis it is almost hopeless. The movement of the ice sheet is very powerful, when it wants to move something it just does and there is not much any one can do except clean up the mess afterwards.
wink.gif

Depends on where the lake is. Up at my cabin the county takes care of the access. Up to a few years ago they wouldn,t plow the access on our lake due to the narrow road and steep hill, but since the highway was rebuilt and the raod to the lake widen'd they plow it all the time now. I liked it the old way.

Others have already stated it, and Blinkin, you touched on it as well. Many of the accesses are only installed by the DNR, not maintained by them. When the access is agreed to be installed, there is typically an agreement by county, or third party to do the maintenance.

What I have done in the past is called the DNR regarding an issue at a landing wether it be plowed roads to the access, in-accesible because of the landing itself etc and they will tell you who maintains the landing. Then you need to call whomever they identify as the "caretaker" as it's not the DNR's responsibility to chase the issue.