• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Borch

Some of my recent home painted lures.

Here's a few cranks that I've repainted to give a new lease on life after the manufacturer color was just not getting it done. The funky rainbow trout shallow floating Rattlin Rogue has already made up for lost time and has a 10 1/2 lb eye and several others to show for it's makeover. laugh

DSC00490.jpg

Nothing fancy and the patterns are meant to catch fish and not fisherman. wink

Last year on line, I found quite a few of those orange crawfish colored Husky jerk-baits. You may want to check it out.

Nice work Borch. I do a little custom painting too although have never gone very far with it. Every year I plan to tackle it over the winter, but it seems like I forget about it as soon as I put the boat away. Poor planning I guess.

You must be mixing your own colors .... are you using an airbrush too?

I've been using an airbrush for most of the painting with a little free hand and spray can to boot.

As far as colors go yes I do mix a bit to get them right. Here's an overview in my blog about the process with a photo of some of the stuff I use to get it done.

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/?cat=21

Mark those orange craws have been a tough buy this year. I refuse to drop $20 for a singe bait so this is my compromise. That an it's a very easy pattern to paint even if you only use a spray can to get it done as long as you can find the right orange.

Very inspiring Jeff grin You've got me motivated to dig out my airbrush again. Now if I could just remember where I put it last time ......

I bought them on line for no more that $7.00 ea. A picked up a few 10's, 12's & 14's.

I'll be in touch tomorrow. Interested in the Rainow trout color.

Mark,

Then you scored a quite deal on those orange craw! Guess my timing has been off. wink

Could be. I've checked in the winter before but I all depends on who else is looking to buy at that same time. This time of year is tough due to the lure's popularity for the Mille Lacs fall crank bite.

I asked this same question to a fellow member over the phone about two weeks ago. The response I got was dark nights (say new moon, or thick clouds.) All I know is that with the new moon last year on the pond at the time of the gtg, orange craw flat out worked!

By the way, the member I asked was Dave Weber.

Hey guys Ill look for some orange craws around here. How many ya want and what sizes. I know I saw a few some place.

Dark nights they do well for me. When you're fishing full moon with little cloud cover the lures with flash, (Chrome, silver, rainbow...) tend to excel.

Thanks for the offer Northlander. I have plenty for my needs now though. wink

do you have any extra rainbow HJ's or Rapala's with your paint job you may want to part with??? I would be interested.

Mark,

I've only painted one thus far in that pattern. Sounds like you like the look of that one. wink

Just did some digging on hsolist, the cheapest price for those orange craw lures is $13....I did find a lot of floaters with an OC in it, so I think I'll be bidding on that soon...

Keep on checking. Like I mentioned to Borch. I paid $7.00 ea for sizes 10 & 12.

Jeff I need to be corrected I paid $9.00 for the 14's.

Did you do a search on husky jerk-baits. last year I found alot of "package items". If you find some with the orange, contact seller and ask if they would just sell them. Usually the did when I purchased.

Keep looking, you will find them. You could always contact Matt or Pat @ Thorne Bros. They may be able to help also.