• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

TIP UP ??? FOR ALL YOU PROS

FishinMaverick

This might be a stupid ? but i am fairly new to icefishing and i am wondering how to use my tip ups correctly. info on rigging baits, hints basically anything a rookie like me needs to know.
Thanks in advance.
P.S. i have some frabill thermal tip ups and also use some cheap berkely tip ups

------------------
no-no boys there's two O's in goose!

First thing to do is to sell the Berkley tip-ups at the next garage sale. That's what I did. Set out your tip-up in an area that you think might be holding fish but don't want to waste too much time on. Spool black dacron on the reel and slide on a bobber knot and then tie in a small swivel and then a three or four foot mono leader. The knot will help you mark the depth and you won't need to check it every time you put a bait back down the hole. I like to use a small colored jighead with minnows but you can also use a plain or colored hook. If you're fishing for walleyes with minnows let them run after they trip the flag until they stop and then start to run again before setting the hook. Hope that helps.

Ron Anlauf

For pike, I use a Invisi-leader tied to braid and a 1/0 or a 2/0 bait holder hook. Add a split shot or two about a foot or two above the leader. Set the depth at half to 1/3 from the bottom of the depth of the water you are fishing.

I spool my thermal tip-ups with 20# plactic coated tip-up line,(this line is very easy to handle and does not get knotted up easily
when you pull in the fish), next tie on a small swivel,add around 3' to 5' of 8# mono and tie on the hook or small jig you want.
For walleyes set the depth so the bait will be around 6" to 18" off the bottom, be sure to take into account the length of the spool shaft after the tip-up is placed back into the hole! When you have the correct depth, put a small splitshot on the line just below the line spool to use as a guide for quickly getting the rig reset after you catch a fish.
For northerns set the depth at around 1/2 the distance from the ice and the bottom in water up to 15' deep. Closer to the bottom in deeper water.
Hope this helps!
Good fishing!
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

I use the black braided line I then put button (shirt button) on the line insted of a sinker or bubber knot. put the line through two different hole in the button it will slide up and down the line to what ever depth you are fishing. then I put sivel and about 4 feet of mono and a plain hook. I hold the bait in my hand with the minnow head to me then I put the hook just under the skin by the top fin and bring it out to the head of the minnow. this will let it live longer and swim normal . use enough sinkers to keep the bait down good luck Nels grin.gif

I do all the same as above but use a round, clip on bobber (small, .75" dia) instead, but I'm gonna try the button and sinker method this weekend.

[This message has been edited by Farley (edited 02-12-2004).]

I use circle hooks on my tip ups, I haven't missed a fish since, except for a few biten leaders. The only problem with the circle hooks is getting the bait on the hook. I have had some success on tru turn red hooks, but have missed a number of fish too.