• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Power augers

icebum1

I'm relocating from south central Ill, never had a reason for a power auger 14''s of ice is a lot down here, so I just use the lazer hand auger. Looking to buy one just wondering on prices and the different styles. Any info would be great.

You can pick up a new one anywhere from 300 bucks to 450. I'm kind of hazy on the rules so I'm not going to link to anything. But google eskimo ice augers, and strikemaster. A lot of guys also swear by lazer blade cutting system.

As far as price goes I think the Strikemaster Mag 2000 for $239.00+tax is the best deal(regular price). I just didn't think it was worth another $140.00 for the Mag express, and I didn't even look at the Mag Ultras.

I've got to say that the extra money I spent on the Xpress Lazer was worth every penny. Its listed at $349 but there are a few places around town that will come down a bit from that. It is a heck of an auger. I buzzed through 36 inches of ice numerous times last weekend on Winnie in a minute or less. I've got a buddy with a Mag 2000 and his draw dropped the first time he used my Lazer.

Icebum:

Welcome to Minnesota. I came from Central Iowa five years ago and love the fishing and outdoor opportunities.

As far as augers, you will get 10 opinions in 10 posts. My suggestion is to ask yourself some questions before you go shopping. How often do you plan to use it? What is your ice fishing budget? Are you able to handle the heavier 3 HP all day. (they do get heavy) Are you OK with it taking a few more seconds to drill the hole? (Patience)

Strikemaster and Jiffy make good augers. It seems easier to get parts for Strikemaster and the repair shop is at Big Lake. They both have the same mfgr of engines. I think Strikemaster has better 2 HP units and a better section of models.

The 3 HP units (I have the Jiffy 3HP) are great, but weight is an issue and since some us us have back issues, I am going to a 2 HP next year. I love my Jiffy and it works great, but those extra 8-10 pounds get real heavy after drilling alot of holes.

The top of the line units with the advanced auger blades are great, but only make sense if you use them alot, fish up north where 36+" of ice is common-or money is not an issue. You may gain a few seconds in drilling a hole but those few seconds can get pricey. But it is your money and decision.

Walleyhawk;
Thanks for the welcome. I have family in the Mankato area ,everytime I come to visit it gets harder to return home.So many outdoor opportunities, it should be great. I spend alot of hours on the ice when we have it so looking for somthing that can handle some abuse. Thanks for the input. Maybe I'll run into some of you guys sometime.

I would go with a 2 hp auger. 3 hp augers are known to be hard starters in cold weather and you feel the extra weight after a day of drilling. I recently returned a 3 hp to Stikemaster and now I have a 2 hp Strikemaster Xpress lazer. Strike master has excellent customer service and they are fast. Are you moving to the Mankato area?

Ice Bum Welcome to the forum.
I have to agree with Barnabas, the Lazer Mag Xpress is well worth the extra money. The double blades cut much faster than the single blades. I spent the extra $30.00 and went with the 10'' over the 8" (its easier to drop things down a 10" hole grin.gifgrin.gif
And as brava-pesca said, definitely go with the 2 hp, the 3's seem to be hard starters why? this is a mystery. This time of the year you may want to get an extension as well for an extra 30 bucks.
Good luck and again, Welcome to the forum and Minnesota.

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

Hey Icebum, Welcome to the frozen tundra. I use a Eskimo Barracuda. Had it for 4 years. This 2 horse cuts like a 3 horse. Assuming your covering some area, you can cut 3 holes to two with the 'Cuda. If you choose a Barracuda get the Quantum blades.

WGSM
Your quote
"Assuming your covering some area, you can cut 3 holes to two with the 'Cuda."

Answer to this post:

StrikeMaster Lazer Xpress was voted the fastest cutting aguer for 2003.

Are you are going to be at the Red Lake get together? I would be intrested in racing. smile.gif Cold start to the water.
your 3 to my 2. It's like B.I.R. meets frozen water grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

I really like the new 2.5hp Eskimo Shark! There engine is probably the best out there hands down.
I will start in 2 pulls every time b/c it has a choke and a primer.
You will never burn your coat on the muffler either, thats protected.
The throttle handle is comfortable. Plus it has 2 handles on the side the throttle is on so you dont put so much pressure on it all the time.
The gas cap vent is a one way valve, no more leaking gas. Plus with the chainsaw style engine allows you to tip it on its side and it will keep running, unlike the Tecumseh engines.
And on the auger it has dual chipper blades.
IMO its a great auger.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300

Plus with the chainsaw style engine allows you to tip it on its side and it will keep running, unlike the Tecumseh engines" ? .
I would be intrested in this theory, I have let my "Techy" run idle on the ice and it ran fine.

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

2 h.p. Strikemaster Mag III Plus,. This unit came with a 10" chipper blade and the first thing I did was sold that and bought the 6" lazer auger screw with two 6" lazer blades. Best $150 I spent over 7 years ago. Starts 2 pulls during season and once it's warmed up just one. What I like about mine is really how inexpensive they are to maintain and how fast and fuel efficient it is. Thank Christ I got this model the year before the Delta Wing disaster handle bar came out. The only thing I don't like is the gas cap spits gas out the vent cap relief screw if you fill it to much.
My buddy has a Mako he got from Cabela's I haven't checked it out in action yet

I picked up a strikemaster mag 3 plus at the pawn shop for $75. It doesn't look too pretty, I put a new spark plug in it and sprayed some seafoam in the carb and it works great, it starts 1-2 pulls every time and does the job for me. Keep in mind that I don't generally drill more than 10 - 20 holes in a day. I've seen faster augers out there, but for the money it could'nt be beat. Check out your local pawn shop for deals. They have to give you a 30 day guarentee that it works.
Andy

Defending the 3hp models. the top companys all seem to use the same motor so thats not the isse on cold starts . have owened 2 different brands of augers and they both just needed to have carbs adjusted at times. heavier than the smaller motors ,, but lots more depenadable .they dont generally have all those plastic parts on them. peronally i'll take a 3hp over the others for that reason.just hate working my rearend off getting to the fish and haveing a broken throttle which happened to a buddy of mine once on a trip. thanks for the eskimo 3hp, it saved the trip. i know own a Jiffy model 30.

I also vote for the Eskimo Shark. It does start in two pulls when cold and rips through the ice. And for that laying on the side while the engine is running thing, sure you can lay over a Strikemaster or Jiffy, but doesn't the gas start spilling out of the top of the cap? The Shark has a gas cap that does not leak, yet still allows for ventilation. These augers a little more expensive, but this is my first year with one and I love it.

Thanks for all the info everyone. Leaning to the Eskimo shark. brava - pesca I'll be going to the Duluth area.Ought da have plenty a ice up der ya you betch ya. I dont know if thats how you guys do it but had to give it a shot.(lol). Thanks again and looking forward to the move.

before you make up your mind, check out a jiffy stealth. I had the opportunity to borrow the 3hp model this weekend and wow what a machine. It was a bit big and heavy for my needs but wow did it eat ice. Just set it on the ice and hold it in place. The serated fins on the tip almost seemed to pull the auger through the ice, especially at the bottom of the hole. I'm buying the 2hp model as soon as uncle sam replenishes my bank account.