• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cell Phone Service

LwnmwnMan2

One thing people need to do every so often is update thier roaming list on their phone. Call customer care to see how this is done since it's different for each company. You won't get a signal from new towers unless you have the latest "list" in your phone.

Iron Cowboy,
That's strange, unless sprint put up a bunch of towers since you've swithced. Mine works good on all the lakes I've been on this winter, and my phone, at one point, has been completly submerged in a full glass of beer (dont ask). Maybee your battery wasn't that good.

I'm interested to hear how well your phone works out on the lake, like I said before a buddy of mine has T-mobile, and has problems with service, but I think his phone just sucks.

I back up the phone being bad deal. When I first got Nextel, some 3-4 years ago, we had 2 phones, and one wouldn't work unless you could touch a tower while using it, literally. We sent the phone back and got a new phone, same model, and it worked better than the one that we kept in the first place.

Lwn

I'm not going to make a call on which service is better, but I do want to comment on the question of whether or not it can be the phone that makes a difference.

It certainly can.

My wife and I have one of those "One Plan/Two Phones" plans from Sprint; we have different phones. We can be in the car together, and I will have strong reception (three bars) and she will have none. The phones can make a big difference.

so haaad -

The reason that I need to have a cell phone on my hip, is for snow removal / ice removal. Granted tomorrow (Friday) when it's 35 degrees out, I will not need to plow snow. However Saturday morning, if I'm able to get up after plowing snow for a month of Sundays snow it seems, I actually get to go fishing, I need the phone incase someone has an icy sidewalk from the snow melting, or an icy / slushy parking lot. Granted I COULD get up at 2 in the morning and drive around to the locations that I maintain, but I'd much rather sleep in my own bed for one night, the whole night, and wait to see if a client calls. If they do call, I can tell them I'll be there within an hour, which is usually reasonable, they don't need to know I was actually sitting on the lake, not at home.

Lwn

I use verizon also. I have had very good luck in Northern MN and across N. Dakota and in to Sask. There has opnly been a few places I cannot get good service in N. WI.

In reading this it seems there are a lot of Verizon people out there. Since we all get shared Verizon minutes it will cost nothing, and not use up the regular time to talk on the lakes if we use the phones.

Swamp -

Only if you're the primary line on the account. If you share phones on a plan, there's only one line that can call any other Verizon customer. Granted, I COULD be mistaken, but I believe all secondary lines cost $10/month for that option.

Lwn