• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Direct TV or Dish Network

Johnny B

Figuring that the Forum would provide the honest answers that I am looking for without giving me a sales-pitch…

I am contemplating getting either dish-network or direct TV and I need some help on making the decision.
We typically do not watch a lot of television, but I do want to be able to see a few more fishing & hunting shows, also the Twins and Wild games. We also need better reception throughout the house.

What’s the big difference between the two?
Is one better than the other?
Why not just go with cable?
Anyone have problems / success stories to share?

All advice is much appreciated.

We just switched to Dish-network from cable. I think the biggest difference your going to find is channel line up. On D-N I just ordered the outdoor ch. for $1.99 a month. Well worth the money. Make sure when you are looking at the channels don't be confused by OLN as the outdoor channel. They are not the same. OLN is nowhere near as good as outdoor Ch. It's about 40% fishing and also has ATV shows that are really good. I'm a big racing fan and love the Speed Ch which cable did not have unless I ordered the digital package. The reception of the dish is incredible and I don't have real nice T.V's. I'm sorry I can't give you info on the other one. On D-N you can order the NHL and NBA package that has all games being played on unless they are blacked out in area. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by #Boater# (edited 02-09-2004).]

I have directv. Can't really say to many bad things about them.

Some things to consider

Local Channels - They cost extra with directv. you can just use a regular antena if you want.
How many tv's do you want to have hooked up? It costs extra for each receiver you have.
You can lose signal if its raining hard. It has only happened to me twice in the 3 years that I have had it.

Scott

We have Dish Network too. We got fed up with dealing with Time-Warner and made the switch about a year ago.

You can get free installation and other things, depending on specials, number of rooms etc. We got three receivers installed in three rooms, with the main one being an updated one with the PVR system (much like TIVO). We also got upgraded channel packages so we get all the outdoor channels and some movie packages. Bottom line, we get 30 some odd movie channels, all the outdoor channels and all the Wild, Twins games etc. for the same price as cable.

It's a better picture, better sound and the upgrade to PVR lets you pause and rewind live TV as well as record 50+ hours of shows directly to the chip in the receiver.

I also like all of the little things like the on-screen TV guide, being able to set-up your "favorite" channels, show info and timer functions. It's so easy, even I can do it!

I went with Dish Network this past July. 3 receiver package. Also paid someone up at my cabin near Mille Lacs to install a dish up there. He did it for $125.00, including a new dish. Now I just bring one of my recievers from home to have TV there as well.

I had the cable company coming to my house 2 - 3 times a year. Darn squirrels kept chewing through the cable from the pole to my house. The reception from DN has been exceptional and I haven't lost signal at either my house in the cities or at the cabin.

Would highly recommend it.

[This message has been edited by Leaky (edited 02-09-2004).]

Here is my predicament, I would like to get directv, the 2 or 3 receiver package from someplace like Best Buy. Only thing is, we don't have a phone line. We just use our cell phones. Will there be a problem signing up???? If you read there requirements, they should all be hooked up to the same phone line. You can get a great deal lately, but if they make a fuss, I can't get the rebate.

KJ

Dish Network You don't have to hook to a phone line, the only thing you need the phone line for is ordering Pay-Per-View.
I am not sure if Direct MAKES you have a phone line, I don't see how they really could.
Your gonna love the picture!

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

On dish network you have the freedom to pick indevidgual chanels? (spellcheck please) grin.gif Like the outdoor channel? My better half wont let me get cable ext. becouse you have to buy whole packages. Is there some service out there where you could pick just the chanels you want? Thanks

Hey Guy's: I have Direct TV, and have had no problems with the Rain or Snow issue in the seven or eight years I've had it at my lake place. I think their both are about the same in cost and features. You can add extra channels to D/TV too. I do think there is a slightly different direction for both of them, so check out the "Clear" shot to the sky you have, and go with what ever you can work with. An extra antenna is a good idea so you can "Go Portable". It takes only a few minutes to set it up. I'd vote for either. ...Kaz

I don't have a phone line and my DirecTV works fine - when you get your stuff set up make sure to tell them that you DO NOT want the ability to order pay-per-view thru the remote. Then they won't check to see if it has dialed in monthly because there's no charges that it could get anyway. For a couple days at the beginning of the month the light on the receiver blinks because it can't call it but only when the receiver isn't turned on. no biggie.

One of the reason that DTV likes to have the receivers call in is to make sure the call comes from the same phone line (so you & your neighbor aren't sharing a dish & service). They can technically charge you full price for both receivers instead of the extra $5 for the 2nd or 3rd receiver. Bur if you don't have the ability to use your remote to order PPV they won't check.

The problem with not ordering PPV thru the remote is that it costs an extra $1.50 to order online and an extra $3 or $4 to order over the phone. So no PPV for us, not a big deal for us.

Ok, getting my dish on Sat. Going with DN.

Here's my question.....

I'm a HUGE Twins fan and as we all know, money-grubbin Carl has em on Victory now. No Dish companies (and very few cable)carry Victory.

Now....I see that DN has a Fox Sports package where you get all Fox Sports channels from around the country. My question is, if I tune in to lets say, Fox Sports Chicago, or another Fox Sports channel, will I be able to watch the Twins on the OTHER teams broadcast? I know this is the first year for Victory, but has anyone watched a game via another team?
Or are there blackout issues involved here?

I got Didg.cable, I went to see if I would save $ by switching to a dish. If I wanted to keep the channels that I like that I have now, I would have to buy the more expensive package that the dish offers,so I would be paying more. Also they told me that the dish has to be pointing south and if there are trees or anything blocking its reception it would not work. So I guess it depends on what you have,what you want,and where youre located.

Ok guy's, here's the biggest advantage to satellite. You can take it anywhere!!! well, not technically, but you can't drive over the speed limit can you!

Get an extra dish, make a stand with a metal fence post, and there it sits next to the ice shack, the hunting shack, etc. Neither system NEEDS to have a phone line attached unless you are watching pay per view. ( I know directv says you do but I had it, and you don't.) It's easy to get the angle and asmith (compas bearing) that you need to point at so as long as your post is straight up and down (use a level on each side) you can turn the dish to the right heading and bingo, dish where you want.

They do require that you ahave a license for each address served, but I figure if I'm bring my reciever from home, I'm not stealing anything, just using what I would at home, if I wasn't fishing. I'm paying for the reciever, what difference does it make that I'm using it at Mille Lacs vs, the cities.

Probably opening a big can o worms here, but how many dishes do you see at the lake?

Gadget

Ps. Directv has the better sports options like all the NFL games etc., but unless you have to see all the NFL, they are pretty much the same. I have dish Net now because I moved form the direct tv zone to the Pegasus zone and It was a hassel transfering, and dish had a 4 receiver off one dish deal that directv can't do and the new house needs 4.

I have DN and our total with locals, Outdoor network and OLN, no extra movie channels. This is total bill now with taxes and all that dump is $69.00. But we just got the HDTV package from Dish, so that will change it now. Thought that was a good deal. 40" monitor with the receiver and dish for $999.

------------------
I like Tail

My parents just switched to Dish from cable(minneapolis) and their bill just went down from $226/month to $103/month with all the channels. The picture quality is great. The cable picture was terrible and they had a lot of problems with losing/freezing pictures.

On the other hand they will are switching to DSL from the cable modem.. which will raise their phone bill about $35.

Actual savings.. about $90/month for 4 digital recording receivers(same as digital cable with recording option).

$90 is a heck of a lot of minnows.

If you decide to go with Dish network, spend the extra cash and upgrade to the PVR recorder. Its basically a digital reciever with a fairly large hard drive inside. You can pause/rewind/stillframe live TV, and you can record any program within the next 7 days, just by touching one button. All your recorded programs are stored and easily accessible without using a VCR etc. VERY NICE. If you are into the home theater stuff too, the better receivers like the PVR offer digital audio outputs as well.

I started out with the minimum package for $22 / month, + $2 for the outdoor channel. Am now at ~$35 for all of the standard 150 channels (no HBO etc)

just my $.02

fishermn, Thats digital optical output the highest quality sound with your surround sound system. Its the best. For new customers I can get you a free PVR from Dish the free offer started in Feb, they are nice for recording and Pause and play.