• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tow vehicle ?

jalberg

Nick's not really my type! He just like's the right kind of fish! Guess you'll just have to get a Duramax! I don't know what I am doing in this forum except I always like to look at what people say about there tow vehicle's . Didn't realize it was in the bass forum untill it was too late !

it'll happen i guess. and another thing , i spent this whole spring and summer figuring out the "bass" thing so now as of a week ago i stated to my self that i will be focusing on walleyes primarily. last winter i got teamed up with some guys i met and they have changed my life in the fishing world. I called last winter the start of my fishing exp.! ever since i was a kid it was just a bobber and a worm . never really had to figure any patterns out or deal with bad weather. (dad only took me out when it was nice or when the crappies were spawning). so look out this fall i'll be posting some pics of walleyes!!1

You picked a good time to make the switch. Last year at this time my favorite local lake started a pretty good bite! Unfortunatly I won't have time to check it out so you'll have to let me know how it goes. Good Luck!

Have to check my gps and get back to ya! Not actually sure if I marked the spots but I can get you in the right spot if I don't have them marked ! No need to trade finding them is most of the fun smile

Ok, I've decided to stick with a Ford. So, it's come down to 3 diferent vehicles. An F-150 with either the 4.6L or 5.4L, an Explorer with the 4.0L or 4.6L, or a Ranger with a 4.0L.

Like I said, I have a small aluminum boat now with plans for a 17' or smaller glass bass boat in the future. 95% short pulls around the SW metro with occasional trips to Park Rapids area.

I'm headed out tonight to potentially buy something, so any last words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Jeremy

Do all the vehicles have a transmission cooler? These are used vehicles, correct?

I think you could survive with the V6, but make sure you have the transmission cooler. Transmission take more beating towing than a motor. Most vehicle's motors are capable of doing a lot more (for a lot longer) than they normally do.

Do all the vehicles have a transmission cooler? These are used vehicles, correct?

I think you could survive with the V6, but make sure you have the transmission cooler. Transmission take more beating towing than a motor. Most vehicle's motors are capable of doing a lot more (for a lot longer) than they normally do.

I agree... Only the F-150's won't need a tranny cooler, and DON'T buy the 4.6 F-150... You'll be underwhelmed by the lack of power, to the degree, that you actually get better gas mileage in a properly tuned 5.4L over a 4.6L

For your needs right now... The 4.6 Explorer would be the best option...

However, if you get that 17' Glass boat... then the 4.6 anything will get you stuck in the slow lane... And you will punish a standard strut/shock suspension system...

However... Since it sounds like you don't exactly go Far Flung...

I'd stick with the 4.6L Explorer... The 4.0 would also be fine for now, but you might get into a spot with the 4.0 when you get that heavy glass boat.

go to a dealer that sells them and ask. Best thing you can do so you know you have enough. If you have a tow package, most of them are 3500#

While I think a dealer would help... In all honesty, I'd do like this and ask guys with real life experience, WAY over a dealer.

Now my Aluminum 16' Deep V is 1984 dry weight...

Basically at 3500 pounds, is going to be the MAX a mid size can handle. Tranny, Suspension, Horse Power of the engine... If a fly lands on it and makes it weigh more than 3500 pounds... It would be a bad idea to tow it with a Mid size anything... And an even worse idea to tow with a Mid size SUV.

A Mid Size SUV with a 3500 pound load behind it on a long drive is a NIGHTMARE... If you have anyone in the SUV who gets even remotely car sick, they will paint your upholstery with puke inside of 2 hours... And if you don't have a tranny cooler, you'll bake that tranny like a christmas ham, if you don't stop to cool down every 45mins to an hour.

^^^^Can you push this? Sure...

Do you want to "Push" your $20K + Investment?

bouncy bouncy bouncy .

Yeah no kidding...

A month ago I was coming back from a week long trip up north... We were using my boat to double up hauling all the gear.

And I had my buddy pack the boat, while I took care of other more complicated stuff...

He didn't even think to balance the load... (6 batteries forward of the trailer axle!)

And even my F-150 was so bouncing so bad, that I had to stop an hour down the road, and re-pack on the side of the road. And my dry weight was around 4K from hitch back.

I can't imagine what it would have been like at Mid size with Shocks, instead of Full Size with Leafs!

Well after 3 weeks of no fishing I finally have a tow vehicle again. I settled on an '03 F150 with the 5.4L. Now I can tow any boat I decide to get.

Thanks again everyone for the help!

Nice...

The F-150 is a good pick...

As I say... "It's not that my F-150 has never let me down... It's that she refuses to let me down!"