• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Three Wheeler ??

Dahitman44

I have the chance to buy a 3-wheeler from a guy I know for $200. It is a Honda 110 that is a 78 or 79.

I was thinking about getting it so my 8-year olds could have something to cheap to learn on with me.

Any thoughts on the price and if kids should ride 3-wheelers?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

Hitamn

depending on the condition, it could be a steal. I've seen a Honda 185 that I would have gladly given $1000 for.

As far as putting an 8 year old on a 3-wheeler, that's entirely up to you.

Do keep in mind that your 8-year olds are not old enough to be riding a machine larger than a 50cc machine, let alone a machine as unstable as a 3-wheeler, and any injuries inflicted upon your kids by riding a 3-wheeler could mean serious endangerment and negligence charges coming your way.

Again, depending on the size of your kids, they might be too big for a 50cc machine and would fit a 90 better.

You as the parent are/should be the best judge of their abilities and whether or not they have the motor-skills to safely operate the machine.

There are also some machines in the 110-150cc range that are 4-stroke machines, but no larger ergonomically than the 90cc ATVs.

Another thing to keep in mind is that no dealership will/should sell you a machine for someone smaller than the intended user requirements set forth by the manufacturer. Again, you be the judge of your own kid's size/abilities and make your decision based on that.

It's never a good idea to buy something on the large side with the thought of "the kids will grow into it" for the sake of getting more use out of the ATV. Many of these kids machines are taken care of quite well by the parents and hold their resale value, so stick with "what fits them now"!!!!

Some common safety features to look for are a way to govern the throttle by means of a screw by the throttle lever, or even a tether for the smaller machines/younger crowds, lights, and even a warning beeper when the machine is in reverse.

The anxiety of kids wanting to kick their siblings off and get their turn can be high at times. If the machine is accidently put into reverse and the throttle pinned with Billy or Suzie standing behind the ATV, things could get ugly in a big hurry.

I hope this helps your decision making. I'm not trying to scare you out of a machine. I think it's great that you wanting to introduce your kids to the sport of ATVs.

You've definitely shown one of the first signs of responsibility by asking questions.

Thanks!!!!!!

3 wheelers are dangerous, there is a reason they stopped making them, if you can I would get them a 4 wheeler. Then with that being said we had 3 wheelers when we were kids, and most of us didnt die wink

Yep, had one too when I was young. I did not really get in any trouble with it until I started to do things that deserved trouble. You have to respect anything with a motor.

If you have a flat level yard where you can watch them ride around then I think you will be ok. If you have a lot of hills then it gets to be a little tougher decision. The big draw back to three wheelers were they would tip easy on inclines.

As far as them being death machines, well there are plenty of people killed on four wheelers every year. So a statemnet like get a four wheeler and you should be good is not 100% fool proof. If you are unsure then I would keep a eye out for a good used 90cc four wheeler. And also remember you have to be the responsible one and watch them at all times. I know from experience that I drove quite a bit different when the folks were not around. wink

My first atv was a Honda 110 three wheeler. Take a close look at that machine...that may have a low range/high range transmission setting...you can lock it into low and keep the speed down quite a bit.

To this day, I still run a Big Red 250 three wheeler.

IceRig2.jpg

3 wheelers are dangerous, there is a reason they stopped making them, if you can I would get them a 4 wheeler. Then with that being said we had 3 wheelers when we were kids, and most of us didnt die wink

I ran one quite a bit myself. I am now facing knee surgery for damage done when I rolled it years ago. Personally, I would not let my kid drive one.

If this machine is in good running condition $200 is a steal. I had two different 3 wheelers growing up and also a dirt bike. Now I own three different 4wheelers and a dirt bike for my kids. All machines can be dangerous but I don't feel that the three wheeler is any more dangerous than a 4 wheeler. JMO

It's a little more tippy than a quad. Had one when I was younger, tipped it a couple of times but both my fault. You can tip a quad as well if you don't drive safe. $200 is a steal. Just watch your kids if you put them on it. For kids I would go with the smaller quad though.