• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My first shotgun

jakemcarroll

Is this rusting thing mainly on the newer 870 Express? I've had mine for cripes...quite a while now, and have had zero problems(w/ anything). I do keep it cleaned and oiled though. The stock is not pretty from years of use but it still shoots great. Was thinking of buying one for my boy in the youth model/20 ga.

Yes, this is mostly just a problem with the matt finished Express, not with the blued Wingmaster.

I'm not a gun expert but over the years I've picked up a few tidbits from those I consider to be experts. What I gather is that there can be many factors that determine how a firearm fits. I don't know the terminology but there's something about the amount of drop in the stock. Different people are built differently and so some guys like me have a long neck and so I might require a deeper drop in the stock than someone else. The length of the stock too is important.

All-in-all I believe one way I like to check fit is to throw it up to my shoulder with my eyes closed. When I open them, my sighting eye should be looking right down the sights and I should not have to make any adjustment. If I do have to move my eye into position, then the gun might not fit me properly. Of course I would do it numerous times, pointing/aiming at different levels to be sure. Just my thoughts though for what their worth or maybe I'm over the edge a little?

Bob

Quote:
Pretty much every upland hunter I know that primarily hunts in the Dakotas prefers the shorter barrel (26/28").

I think that the 28 and 30 inch barrels are the longer ones. The 26" and even some 24" are pretty short. We don't have a ton of pheasants around here so most of the people are using their waterfowl or trap guns, and many of them have a longer barrel. Longer than a turkey or brush gun for grouse. Sorry, didn't mean to classify anybody.

BobT is right about the dropped stock and being able to use shims for a perfect fit. But, Guns have been around for a long time and your bread and butter hunting guns of past didn't adjust to the shooter, the shooter usually adjusted to it. You should learn to shoot it correctly. Take it out to your local trap range, you will more than likely get some pointers.