• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rookie Mistake

a47mlb

If I hear one more broadcaster make an excuse for a player who makes a stupid base running error, or failing to miss the cut-off man, by referring to it as a 'rookie mistake'...........

These guys have been playing ball for a long time, under the same rules. There is no such thing as a rookie mistake at that level, in my opinion.

When a player over-runs second on a pop fly instead of going halfway like they teach you in little-league, or if you sail a ball over the cut-off man, and making that much money, then no, they shouldn't be making those kind of mistakes at that level. And for a commentator to try to justify it as 'a rookie mistake' just drives me batty. (pun intended)

I'm not saying players don't make mistakes, but at that level there are no 'rookie' mistakes. That's my point.

I agree, mistakes do happen, but some of these mental mistakes or miscues drive me nut. Tt's the same game these guys were playing on the streets when they were 10, you catch a fly ball the same, feild a grouder, and make a throw all the same. I understand if you screw up physically, but you need to know the fundamentals of the game. Gomez is an example, all of the talent in the world, but he doesn't seem to have an understanding of game or some situations.

I don't buy "rookie mistake" either. By the time a guy gets to the bigs, they've probably had 150 games in college and/or 500 to 1,000 or more games in the bushes. That's more than enough time to learn the fundamentals and be coached.

Rookie mistakes are made by uncoachable spares who likely got by on talent to move up the ladder. I've got appreciation for aggressive play but being a bonehead is inexcusable.

Having said that, some players apparently aren't too smart. Why would anyone slide head-first into first base?