• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spearing in a River?

merkman

I have speared in the elk river just out side of Big lake and its really not that bad. water was clear and I guy that I used to work with speared the mississippi near clearwater and did exceptionally well he used a decoy that looked like a crappie.

I speared on outside bends of the river or the down stream side of were a feeder creek came in. seen carp northerns and even a muskrat. it is differnt because of the current but its really not that noticable

I have speared in 3~4 ft of water (on a lake) when you can't see the decoy more than half way down. When I saw a 6lber come "out of nowhere" and he was 6 inches below the bottom of the ice, it was an awesome rush. I was so afraid of spooking him. So clear water is not as big of an issue for me.

I could see the current in some rivers being too strong.

It seems that the fish would move allot more in the river though?

It is good to know that it has been done anyway.

I am not going out on a river until late in the season though. I don't like thin ice... especially with current under it.

dude, all you have to do is have your catfish and your set.

For myself, i just dont like to have to current under me on the river with my monster hole that i cut in my house. As you all know, i dont think there is anyone out there that cuts the hole to size of mine in my house.

you really dont set up in the current like you think, there is current but its not that noticable look for back water eddies were the current isnt that strong. preseason scouting is a must in the fall look for these spots and first ice watch for what frezzes first.

Mississippi River down by Winona, MN is clear is the backwater, Late fall before the ice I could see 10ft down to the bottom, as long as you stay in the backwaters you'll be fine, hardly any current and the northern love it in the winter, BIG BIG northerns least down here, and this time of year there is atleast 8" of ice most talks right now are 12 to 16" which is crazy but its been a cold season so far.

I speared a lake outlet to a river in the Pillsbury state forest that had a decent amount of current, enough to put a bend in the water celery. We saw a LOT of nice pike, also saw some really big perch. That was before you could use a line. Those perch were driving us crazy, they were true jumbos.

The only drawback is depending on the river's depth one year you will have plenty of water & Then the next year the silt will fill it in. We would always spear a meandering river, first time out for the year we would be scouting to find at least 5' of water sometimes all you could find was 4'. Similar to summer fishing find the changes in structure & depth & you would find fish. Good Luck.