• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

OT canoes

Saw an OT canoe for $300 at Sam's Club over the weekend. Anyone have any experience with these? Looked decent, three seater...they give you two junk paddles, but you could easily buy better ones. The seats weren't very big, but at my age I don't have a lot of junk in the trunk yet. For the price, it seemed like a good deal...nice hard plastic and lightweight.

Still would be a little nervous. Maybe too good of a deal.

Should I get one or wait to buy a used aluminum or pony up for the WeNoNah I've been slobbering over each year at the in-laws?

Hey chisel, was it plastic or Royalex? Do you recall what type of Old Town canoe it was?

I have an Old Town, as does my paddling buddy, & those things have taken a ton of abuse over the past ten years with no noticeable change in performance.

For $300, I'd pick up the Old Town if it's a length & weight that's OK with you. And I've been fondling the Kevlar canoes, especially the Souris Rivers, at shows for years. I figure I have another five-ten years in the muscles before I give up & go Kevlar. smile

Definitely plastic. Never saw a model number or anything. Will have to check if they are still hawking them.

For $300 the price is right I guess. I didn't even know that OT meant Old Town; a big canoer I am not.

Seems awfully cheap. With the way those guys special spec stuff from manufacturers I'm not so sure that the name alone goes real far. And if Old Towne made it I'm pretty sure they'd be bragging it up. Take a close look at the metal edging, thwarts, seats etc and see if you think they look like they'd hold up.