• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fix Cuddeback or buy new?

A couple of years ago my non-hunting wife got me a Cuddeback for my anniversary. It worked the first year but last year I didn't get many shots. I played with it and it is bad. Anyone sent them in and how much does it cost to fix them?

So I'll probably buy another one for this year. Any recommendations?

I might get a IR but it's not a requirement and it has to be digital. I don't need a high Mega Pixel, a 2.0 MP is plenty for these applications but I doubt I can find one that low. I would like to get at least 3-4 weeks of battery life out of it.

I'm agreeing with Big Lake Basses assesment. Friends don't let friends buy Cuddebacks.

I was looking at the Moultree 4.0 w/IR I'll see if anyone else has any opinions.

Anyone had luck with the Stealth Cams? I had an old film one that seemed to work well.

These 5 and 6 MP models just seem dumb to me. The sensor's don't reach out that far so why do I want an image that take up so much space?

I have the Moutrie 4.0 and i was told to expect 5-6 months for battery life. I just put them out last tuesday and will be checking them for the first time on tuesday evening. I can post some pics and the results if you would like! So far they have been VERY simple to use, and with a 2 GB card its tellin me it can hold 2,200 pics at the highest image quality!

Anyone sent them in and how much does it cost to fix them?

They fixed mine for free twice. I think they will do it for free within twelve months of purchase on the receipt. So, you need to send a copy of your receipt too. All I paid for was shipping to their company.

It doesn't cost anything to call them. Unless you spend an hour or more on hold...

This would have been my third season with it so I'm out of warranty. I typically only put mine out from July until mid-Sept so it's not like it has a ton of hours on it. And I'm sure it was already bad last year. I had it out for a month on one property and it only had 4 pictures on it.

Archery stud, good luck finding a 2.0 megapixel. I haven't seen one for awhile. I have a 3.0 and a 4.0. The 4.0 takes twice as good pictures. I can see every sticker and point. The 3.0 is nice, but not nerely as clear. It could be the camera but if yoiu are going to spend the ching, you might as well look at the 4.0. That moultrie 4.0 isn't too bad on the pocket book and everybody on here seems to really like them. I think if I replace one or add to my collection, it would be the moultrie 4.0.

Cabelas has the Wildview 2.0 for $89 for a 2 pack right now.

Its a 1.3 mp, or 2.0 with interpolation.

Very decent reviews on that camera. And for the money, hard to not give it a shot. Especially for a 2 pack.

The Moultrie 4.0 is a rock solid cam for the money too. No argument there.

I've got a Moultrie IR40 that has been on the bear bait in WI since, July 1st. It's still on 75% and had taken thousands of pictures. Plenty good enough pics to see whats been there. I've got all sorts of critters on it, bear, deer, coon, fisher, grey fox, wolves, and tons of crows.

The only issue I had was that after a couple of weeks the bear kocked the camera around and broke the bracket on the back. I got a bear box and mounted it and haven't had a problem since.

Was it in a shady area? Just wondering about this whole black and white deal.. i have 2 cams that are staying black and white all day and one that seems to be transitioning fine. The dealer i bought them from is going to personally come out with me on Sunday to take a look, and try some software upgrades if need be. Seems like a really good camera if only it would take color pics in the daylight! Is yours a last years model or new this year? - sounds like this is an issue that is new this year...

I put out my dad's Bushnell camera for two weeks in a spot my old Cuddeback used to be in. I think the Cuddy got me 60 picture in a month there one summer. The much cheaper Bushnell got 462 and had an animal on nearly every picture. I'll post some pics on the Trail Cam link later.

If anyone else is looking for a great camera, look into the new Scoutgaurd 550. Im testing one for a guy i know thats looking into being a dealer for them and so far they seem really good with the trigger tests and flash tests. They're only 3 1/2" x 5 1/2" by 2" thick!!!! Trigger time is a second. You can also space time between triggers anywhere from 1-60 seconds and then 1-60 minutes. Put mine out yesterday on a trail pod in some cockleburrs so we'll see how the pics turn out next saturday! Ohh ya- they run around 200$!!!!!!!!

"They fixed mine for free twice." Not exactly a bell ringer. I was seriously thinking of getting one but have since changed my mind after reading of all the issues that people here have had with them. The best line i've seen so far is "friends dont let friends buy Cuddeback"

I've been running 3 No Flash cam's since January and I've sent 2 of them in for repair already. Although their customer service is very good in getting the cams back within a week at no charge, I'm displeased with the reliability. Hopefully the Captures will be more user friendly. They do take great pictures.

The new Scoutgaurd 550 is turning out to be a pretty good camera. 200$. 1 Sec trigger time, 5 mp, trigger delay from 1-60 seconds or 1-60 minutes. 3 1/2" x 5 1/2" and 2" thick! Ive had it out for a week and its taking awesome pics. Runs on 8 AA batteries! 1025 pics and its still over 3/4 battery life!