• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

$800 golden retriever

ZEEK1223

My dad's buddy is offering me a really nice golden retriever. His dog sired 11 puppies, and he gets the pick of the litter. The dogs have a great blood line, and all the documentation required.The Dogs sell for $800 to $1000, but he said he would basically just give me the dog as a gift. So it all sounds great right? My problem is that I all ready have a 2 year old lab/ golden mix, and never really considered getting another dog. He is a great hunter, and companion. I am worried about introducing a new dog into the picture. My dog now is defiantly an Alfa with the neighbor dogs, and has showed some aggression with other dogs over treats and bones and stuff. Never with his regular food. He has a great temperment, but will not back down from any other dog that might challange him. Do you think this would work, or have any advice for owning two dogs? I am worried that while I am putting my time into a new puppy, my dog might get jealous.....thanks

Here is what I would say based on what I read in your post.

Do not worry about the "value" of this free dog. I would recommend deciding if you really want a second dog or not. You sound pretty unsure, and seem to feel like you should get the pup based on the "value". I would not recommend making your decision based on this criteria.

I have hunted behind his dog before. The value for me lies not only in the dollar amount, but also the hunting ability.....that being said you make a good point about me being unsure. i just feel like I don't want to miss out on an opportunity....thanks

I only mentioned the "value" part because the title of the thread. I know I would like a second dog or five. (see my thread on what breed would you own) It sounds like a really tempting offer for you, but like so many have said before the puppy purchase price is the cheap part of owning a dog.

I am not trying to tell you not to do it, but be sure you really wanted the second dog. If you do, then go for it.

Your dog should have an easier time with a puppy than with an adult dog. They will show some signs of agression at times, but you have to be around. It doesn't take long and they will be buds. If you have a male, get a female. Keep them seperated at first unless you are around to get them used to each other. Feed seperate for now if your dog is agressive at that time. Like said above, make sure you want a second dog and not just the value of the dog. I know I'll always have two dogs. They really keep each other entertained and I know one would be very lonely without the other.