• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fixed Vs. Expandables

Shango

Bought the rage 3 blades last year. Launched one and got a complete pass through at 30 yards. Left a very big hole and lots of blood to follow. You could actually see the shape of the 3 blades right in the heart so it definitely cuts clean.

G5 Montecs shoot very straight, but two years ago I heart shot a doe at 45 yds with a Rocket Steelhead mechanical and completely shattered the offside shoulder and the head was just burried in bone to the point where I had to take a vise-grip and remove it. Keep in mind I was only shooting 52 pounds because of some back problems, but with my Bowtech and 380 grain arrow I was still shooting approx 250'/second not saying bowtech is the only bow out there but they are extremely fast. Arrow speed is a big factor here.

I prefer a fixed blade broadhead. I've shot Rockey Mountain Titanium's for about 10 years with good luck, although it's getting harder for me to find blades. It's been my experience that when my bow is in tune a fixed blade broadhead will fly just fine. So I figure with a little bit of work I'm more comfortable in knowing that the blades have already been "deployed".

With that being said I think that the expandable broadheads are much better now than when they first came out.

I've killed alot of deer with muzzy's 3 blade 90 grains. When I swithched to carbon arrows they just wouldn't fly true for me so I switched to the G3 Montecs and so far I really like them. No chance for failure on a fixed blade broadhead...but I do agree they are making them better as of late, I think the only mechanical head I would shoot would be the Rage, simply because of the way it operates.

50 lbs is a decent poundage so I don't think he'd have trouble with an expandable. To judge on the side of err though, I'd recommend a fixed blade head or cut on contact fixed blade head. I've used NAP Spitfire's 100 grain and have had good and bad experiences with them. Now I shoot Muzzy 100 grain 3 blades and won't shoot nothing else. What sold me on Muzzy's is seeing a buck my dad shot in Iowa, breaking BOTH front shoulders. I'm talking arrow sticking out on both sides of the deer and when the arrow hit, it darn near buckled right there. He said it sounded like someone smacked 2 2x4's together. He was shooting 55lbs or 60 lbs. If that isn't impressive, I don't know what is.

Brian

Doesn't really matter if you use a fixed or a mechinal broadhead. Just make sure he can shoot well and the deer will die. I have used about every type broadhead and would rather have a good hit with a field tip than any bad hit with a broadhead.

A good clean shot is all it takes. Expandables penetrate just fine.

50 lbs is right on the low end of expandables in my opinion. And if he does shoot expandables, I would not shoot the ones with a huge cutting head. You want a pass through, and you can only do that with the smaller heads unless you are pulling some larger pounds. 50lbs is more than enough to kill a deer. If the bow is tuned properly, he should shoot fixed blades in my opinion.

I agree with Deitz on this one. 50 lbs is a bit low for most mechanicals. I would recommend a smaller fixed blade. Several good ones have already been mentioned here.

The better fixed blades these days fly just as good as mechanicals. Not much reason to shoot them anymore IMO. Moving parts on a broadhead never made much sence to me anyway.

I have just swithced to mechanicals due to the hole that is put in the deer. I have never seen a fixed blade make a hole like the hole that the Rage broadhead puts in a deer which will make a blood trail much better and easier to find.

I will agree that if you are shooting lower poundage that you should probably stay away from the mechanicals due to penetration issues.

The Rage is a darn good expandable. I just chose to go a different route as of late. I had a couple of non pass throughs with expandables, and lost one deer because of it. After seeing what the Montec could do, I switched.

Last year I shot the rage broadheads and I liked them. They left a VERY big hole and a good blood trail. But the only thing I didn't like about them was that I could never get the blades to stay together when I was walking or sitting in the stand. This year I switched to the montec g5 and I am pleased with the way they fly, how sharp they are, and there is no chance for a mechanical error resulting in a lost deer.

Guys, I'm glad you all seem to like the Rage broadhead, but read the original post. These are for a young person with limited draw length and weight. Still think any expandable is a good choice for this person? I don't.

more of the penetration depends on where the shot location was, and what type of bow,(a newer style cam will penetrate alot deeper than an old 50 pound bow will). also arrow weight and speed have to be taken into consideration. which equates into kinetic energy. I will be hunting at 50 lbs this year with a bowtech 82nd, and i would not be affraid to put it up against most 60lb solo cam bows on the market today. but I shoot 3-4 times a week right now and shoot all year. so it still has to go back to the shooter and shot placement. i will be using piston point 100 grain expandables, and have great succusse with them. easy rearward opening.