• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Least favorite fishin' tv shows

Scoot

I have to defend Gillispie of Waters and Woods. Sure he uses guides, but they provide valid on the water tips and info. And you know they are not fishing preset buoys like the Babe. Everything I have ever heard was the Babe is a jerk.

A friend of mine gives me a hard time about Gilispie. But the guy does catch nice fish. How many of us landed two 50 inch muskys last year? I saw him land a few huge, pig walleyes. He does catch nice fish, and not when the bite is peaking. He is out there every week. I wish I caught what he did last year.

Plus you have the humor factor. He gets too excited, and once after a 50 inch musky they thought he was going to have a heart attack.
A few weeks ago they pull an atv out of the lake when it breaks through. Though his weekly Johnsonville Brat break is getting a little old.

A show is successful if you learn something and I learn tons more from him than the ultra competitive its all about me Babe.

[This message has been edited by walleyehawk (edited 02-12-2004).]

[This message has been edited by walleyehawk (edited 02-12-2004).]

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The funniest show was when Virgil Ward was bass fishing in Florida. He had caught a bass that had a patch of scales missing on one side. To make the story short, old Virgil caught that same bass many times through out the show and every time he brought it to the boat(same scales missing) it fought less and gained weight. MY buddie and I laughed our a_ _es off. And I thought my buddie had a talk degree. Anyhow last weekend of fishing, get out there and do it.

I have been a guest on T.V. fishing shows and I would like to put in my 2c if you don’t mind, the criticism of the shows are fine but do not tell stories of these guys putting fish in pens and catching them later, it does not happen, these guys have to much at stake, also, Don’t tell second hand stories about these people that are also untrue. Think about it, Do you really think Al Linder is going to go to Canada and sit in a boat and read a book while others catch fish and hand him the pole when one is hooked? If you really believe that then I have some lakeshore to sell you in Death Valley, I do not know him nor have I been on his show but they put out a fine product. Alot of hard work goes into these shows, 16 to 18 hour days are normal and it is really sad when people say untrue things about any of these hosts. If you want to see what it is like do it yourself.

As far as the Al Linder deal mentioned above maybe its true maybe it isnt who knows maybe he was just taking a break. I guess I wouldnt feel decieved if it was , I mean its not like some gomer trying to make a name for himself ,I dont have any doubts about Al Linder being able to hook his own fish.

O.K. ONTASK What have you witnessed? Where? When? Who? Like I said I do not care if you are critical of the shows, good or bad but if you seen these guys putting fish in pens or something like it, tell us, because it does not happen.

just give me the lindners....i love both angling edge and in-fisherman.....any other fishing show is more or less an info-mercial...is there any greater example of a human billboard than joe bucher?.....a friend of mine bought one of his videos at gander, watched it once, and immediately brought it back and told gander they could just keep it because of the 30 minutes on the tape, 20 were advertisements.....the lindners do plenty of advertising like anyone, but you will actually learn alot from them

I'd have to say old Al was probably taking a rest. Multiple days on the water do tend to wear a guy out. I have seen him a few times over the years on the Rainy and he has always been holding a rod or a net! I've seen him fishing both with and without a camera boat on the water with them, or a cameraman in their boat. Spoke to him in the Ranchhouse one morning and he is a very approachable and personable fellow.

fiskyknut

When did Linder's divorce themselves from In-Fisherman? Both shows, In-Fisherman and Linder's Edge, are great. I just wonder what happened there???

I see that I'm not the only one that heard very interesting things about Babe's lifestyle. In fact, I've heard interesting stories from two different individuals. One that worked for him and one that fished against him in tournaments. These things you don't see on TV! Makes me feel sorry for his children.

Lets clear the air. I'd like to hear what others have heard or know about Babe. Guys like this should not be patronized, but should be de-throwned in favor of someone who appreciates the position.

have you ever noticed that Simply Fishing Simply sucks Bob M. handles Muskies with all the care in the world but grabs a Northern so hard it looks lie he is trying to squeeze its guts out.
OL"ROY ONTASK is right it does happen!
Bass Masters is the best hands down

The Linders sold In-Fisherman about 3 years ago to a corporate buyer, they had to get out of fishing for 1 year and now they can resume as long as they do not use the In Fisherman name, Ron is simi-retired. They made a good name for themselves and worked hard. And with an offer they couldn’t refuse they took it . Al has another good show and I am sure it will also be successful too.

Big Roy,
How much do you want for that land?
I belive it because the guy that told me that story witnessed it for himself. I am not saying that that is what goes on every day but that is what was going on that day. Would you believe it more if the guy that saw it typed it for me, then it wouldn't be second hand info.

Don't get me wrong, I love Al Lindner. Probably my favorite celebrity fisherman of all time. And I really don't care if he was letting someone do the dirty work for him. He has paid his dues and I still respect him and his work. It was just a little tidbit of information meant for the amusement of those who read it.

------------------
Chevy, Lund, Yamaha, Fish trap, Strikemaster, Vexilar, Budweiser, did I forget anything?

I also had a bad experience with Babe. I was up on a small lake in northern MN. We were on the dock and here comes Babe and a big rig with the camera deck in back. He was alone and backed his boat in. We held his boat while he parked his truck.When he came back,my buddy said, "They must be biting here,huh?" just as a joke. Babe grumbled and gave us a dirty look. He took off 90mph and didn't even say thanks. We talked to the camera guy later, he seemed pretty nice.

This is a funny thread! Hats off to you Scoot for getting this started.

I guess I enjoy most of the shows out there. My eight year old son made up a joke for school the other day. "What does a guy do when his fishing spot isn't any good? He turns the channel!" Pretty intuitive for an eight year old.

If I had to pick my least favorite it'd have to be Bill Dance' show. Farm ponds stocked with bass, almost always bass. Have you ever noticed how his rod gradually bends over as he's reeling in until he sets the hook on virtually every fish? Wonder why? Hhhmmmm. Do you think that maybe the fish was pre-hooked and allowed to swim out there until they got the right lighting for the camera shot - Oh, there's one! Yea, whatever! Also, I can't stand the way he holds up those big bass by the lip. Holding em' vertically is fine, but horizontally is really hard on their jaw. It can permanently damage a big fishes mouth.

Winkelman. All I have to say is he's the only guy I know that hires a guide to take him to fish or game with every show he makes. Every one! Babes a dink. He brought a lawsuit against the Linders years ago over who came up with the idea for the Lindy rig and he won. That's why the packaging changed back in the early 80's. And what's up with that mountian he built in his living room? I wonder who's paying for all that stuff, and his guides.

Simply Fishing. I agree with all of you on this one. If Bob was to talk to me the way he does his guest fisherman I'd literally kick him outta the boat. I gotta admit, the guy has got a knack for catching some amazing musky's, but he could sure learn some manners, and not be so darned condescending all the time.

I haven't seen BJ. At least I don't think I have. Sounds pretty awful.

Honestly, I've worked with many of these guys in the past. The Linders, Roland Martin, Gary Roach - they're all nice enough people. I really respect Al's new program. He's never been afraid to advertise his faith in God, and that has been an obstacle for him with respect to how other's have treated him. He's the best fisherman I've ever met, along with Roach. First class people that promote the sport of fishing in an honorable fashion, and truly take the time to educate everyone on how to be successful.

The truth about fishing programs is that they are all rigged! Most of these guys have lakes prefished by professionals so they know where fish are, and what baits to use when they go out. I've personally watched Roland's film crew catch bass in Minnesota lakes, get the light and angles where they need them, shoot the fish up with epinephrine, and let it swim away from the boat (already hooked), only to be "caught" and reeled in again. It's pretty tough to get it all on film with everything just right the first time.

Like I said earlier, they're all pretty good as long as they show respect for the quarry and teach you something about being successful. It's all just a business.

How many of you get "The Sportsmans Channel" out of St Cloud?
All Fishing, All Hunting, All the time.
Several very bad shows on there.
A couple that are just awful.

Funny thing is, that I catch my self watching all these bad shows(including BJ and Midwest Outdoors Magazine).
I get drawn to them, because they are so awful.

Beats watching re-runs of Friends and other dump.

Ya, the Babe needs a attitude adjustment-along with a belt adjustment. The bad sign for him has to be that you have a hard time finding his show on TV in Minnesota. Seems like WGN in Chicago is the only one that has stayed with him. Fox Sportsnet now has him on--mistake.

I saw his show today. Too lazy to change the channel after Wisconsin Waters and Woods with Gillispie and could not find the remote. Babe did not even get out of the house today. Had two Minnesota guides shoot the whole show. They were alot better than the babe. Not ghood when you do not even shoot the fishing scenes on your own show. Seems lately he does not do as many shows, except when he brings one of his kids on. Babe has to be the worst.

A 7-10 years ago I won a trip to Ely and part of the prize was I would get to film a show with Bob Mesikomer. I was gonna be the guest. Well, we had 25 degrees the first week of June, light snow and Mesikomer headed south and decided not to film the smallie show on Basswood Lake. Sounds like I dodged the bullet the way he treats guests.

I wish i could get half the fishing shows that you all get in Minnesota. I dont get dump for quality fishing shows in Nebraska. The only show that i will even watch is infisherman. Bill Dance, fly fishing, saltwater fishing, and all the other made up largemouth bass fishing shows just [PoorWordUsage] me off.

I'd like to see a couple months of ice fishing episodes during "ice fishing season". Were are the career commitments. What does it take to become a "Big Name"? Are they big name weanees? Cant they stand the elements? Babe had a show a couple weeks ago, he had a couple guys who were obviously serious about the sport and quite knowledgable handle the responsibility's. Babe did his part, all from within twenty feet of his impressive fireplace-shrine-mantle thingy. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for delegating responsabilities, especialy when it is well earned. My beef is the poor timing in terms of programing. This screams advertizer influence and lazy hosts. The proof is there, were NOT stupid and if we have to put up with all those adds, at least give me some entertainment inbetween. We all know what makes the world-go-round.

I think this site caries some weight. I wonder if any of the heavy hitters have their eye on it. Maybee one of the more computer litterate members here will send some of these guy's a link to this thread.?....

The more I watch the Outdoor channel, the more I want to go pan for gold.

I feel better now,......thanx.

[This message has been edited by mark n (edited 02-15-2004).]

Ever hear of Daryl Christensen? Pro Walleye fisherman! Years ago my buddy and I witnessed him and a fishing buddy coming up the Fox River to the waiting Cameras at the Dam., but before he got to the dam, he stopped at his parents dock where he had Walleye kept, once he had them loaded into the boat they went up stream to the cameras stating that they were returning from that days fishing trip with two limits off nice big walleye. Now I know that he is capable of cathing fish, he has to, he makes a living of it-but there are times that they stretch the stories and use editing to look like they can do no wrong. It all comes down to the almighty dollar like everything else.

Lots of good posts here. I'd have to agree with most of the comments made. One thing that I've noticed for myself, even though I really, really love to fish, I notice that I get really sick of most of the fishing shows. For some sad, pathetic reason, I keep watching them though.

------------------
Scoot

So I got dat goin’ for me… which is nice.