• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Least favorite fishin' tv shows

Scoot

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a guy that used to be a camera man for Babes show. Said he is real Jerk. allways complaining about something and when the tapes not rolling both him and his wife are every other word F-this and F-that, not nice people. I used to watch all the fishing shows on the dish. decided its better to do it myself than watch other people all the time. You can only learn so much from them, experience is the best teacher. and if I have an hour or two to watch fishing I have time to get off the sofa and go myself

I can not decide which show is worse BJ outdoors or Midwest Outdoors. BJ outdoors is like a low budget horror film from the black and white days of the fifties and Midwest outdoors is nothing but a half hour commercial and if you want to know who the retard that is in the begining and end who says "That show was a keeper", that is Gene Laulonen (probably spelling his name wrong) he is the owner of Midwest Outdoors. I had a subscription to the magazine for a short time and I got really mad when the started reusing articles. They would write an article about smallmouth fishing and then two magazines later the exact same article would be in the magazine. Do I look that stupid to not know you are putting the same article back in the magazine. I am so tired about the same show from Voyagers National Park. Here is a tip, TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT! I am done venting now but Midwest Outdoors is the poorest run fishing show and magazine.

I'm not sure of the name of the show but....The host says everything 3 times, George, George, George! Plain annoying fellow! Instead of 'Slab', he's says 'slob', and he seems to fish Wi waters with Zip lures most every show.

Anyone recognize this description?

fiskyknut

One really cold winter day (I think -25* windchill?) too cold to ice fish in a portable, I was watching a fishing show where a brunette skinny guy with bad shades was catching fish, he was over-animated...but the thing I immediately HATED was how this guy held his beautiful Bass he'd just caught....he was holding the bass by the mounth, snapped back the mouth hard so the audience could get a great look(i guess), and just threw it back in the water. [PoorWordUsage]d me off a lot.
Unsure of the name of the show... is this the "BJ outdoors" everyone's talking about?
If so, shame on him, respect your surroundings and wildlife.

I guess we can understand why the show is called "BJ".......heh heh heh.

****forever fishergurl

Come on guys, you don't like Gillespie's rendition of zippidy do da, zippidy-a for his advertisement of the zip-lure. I have a friend that I think has nightly nightmares about that song, everytime we even talk about fishing he starts singing it and usually puts a few mumbles of his own at the end. The guy has energy, I'll give him that.

Wood's and Water has got to be the worst show!!!!!!!! I would knock Gillespie's head off if I got the fish in the hole and he started to grab the line or the fish to get it out of the water. It is my fish and I will land it. If I need help I will ask. Even my wife has asked who that moron is? Just my opinion and thanks for letting me get that off my ZIP LURE. Scheuney

Babe cookin wit chris has got to go, and try to do a show where you actually catch the fish and are not caught a week ahead of time just to make you look like some big smart fishin guy.

I’m not sure who is worse: Tony or Dean Capra. If their show isn’t bad enough, just try the customer service in their store! NEVER AGAIN, will I give them my business. Too bad the old man isn’t running the show anymore.

My same thoughts on Midwest Outdoors have already been clearly expressed by most of you: One big commercial!

I have on tape many of the old In Fisherman shows from the 80’s, when they first started doing television. The shows were an hour long and not commercialized, they sure did produce some quality programs.

Gillespie is a homer, but for pure entertainment value I don't think his show can be beat with the exception of that fish on show of course because you have the bikini factor there. Some of his winter shows get kind of annoying because since these guys are from WI you know they are dipping into the paint thinner a little too much. You also gotta love how all the footage was taken within a week or two of airing.

The best show for MN fisherman is probably a tie between the new Linder show and In-Fisherman. The worse show by far is BJ Outdoors, that show does absolutely nothing for me... Did anyone else see this one a couple weeks ago on BJ: ice fishing on lotw they gaffed about a 26 incher thru the head, then they held it up for the camera for a bit then the guy says "lets get this one back in the water, we don't want to stress it anymore than we have to".

Yeah sure get her back so that gaff wound to the brain can start healing...

The best show out there now is Linders Edge, If this show doesn't get you excited about fishing I don't know what will, All is great, he is a spaze, but He loves what he does and has a passion for the sport. In-fisherman is great also. These guys are proven anglers, Stange is underapreciatd, seems like a great guy. I also like joe bucher but he needs to mix it up a little.

Woods and water is not bad, John gilespie is a goof, Honestly the guy can't fish, If he didn't have guides he wouldn't be able to catch squat, most shows he lucky if he even hooks up with a fish. 90% of the fish are caught by the guide or guests. He is funny, To much energy, "LOOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT WALLEYE! 3 times he says it, Like he has never seen a fish that big, when in reality he saw one last week.
I used to like Babe Winkelman when I was younger but He is no all linder, He seems pretty lazy, He is not very informative, I have heard bad things about him before.
By far the worst show is BJ outdoors, The guy is a absolute ediot, He is from central Minnesota. I wont say where but I used to be the fishing manager at a retail store and BJ would always come in (dressed with black leather Harley Gear and a DO-Ragg) He would want info. and free stuff for his show. Just a ediot. When I first saw his show I was sick, camera work terrible, editing terrible, The handling of the fish was a unbelievable, my sister could handle fish better then these guys, they would acually show themselves dropping nice pike and walleyes in the boat. They could at least edit it out. I was up in canada fishing lac suol and they where up there taping a show, The were there for at least a couple of days and we talked to them, they spent about 3 hours a days actually fishing on the same spot close to the lodge the whole time, Come on who goes to canada to fish and would rather sit around the lodge all day then fish. What a joke. I kind of went on and on with this but I can't stand that show.

The best show out there now is Linders Edge, If this show doesn't get you excited about fishing I don't know what will, All is great, he is a spaze, but He loves what he does and has a passion for the sport. In-fisherman is great also. These guys are proven anglers, Stange is underapreciatd, seems like a great guy. I also like joe bucher but he needs to mix it up a little.

Woods and water is not bad, John gilespie is a goof, Honestly the guy can't fish, If he didn't have guides he wouldn't be able to catch squat, most shows he lucky if he even hooks up with a fish. 90% of the fish are caught by the guide or guests. He is funny, To much energy, "LOOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT WALLEYE! 3 times he says it, Like he has never seen a fish that big, when in reality he saw one last week.
I used to like Babe Winkelman when I was younger but He is no all linder, He seems pretty lazy, He is not very informative, I have heard bad things about him before.
By far the worst show is BJ outdoors, The guy is a absolute ediot, He is from central Minnesota. I wont say where but I used to be the fishing manager at a retail store and BJ would always come in (dressed with black leather Harley Gear and a DO-Ragg) He would want info. and free stuff for his show. Just a ediot. When I first saw his show I was sick, camera work terrible, editing terrible, The handling of the fish was a unbelievable, my sister could handle fish better then these guys, they would acually show themselves dropping nice pike and walleyes in the boat. They could at least edit it out. I was up in canada fishing lac suol and they where up there taping a show, The were there for at least a couple of days and we talked to them, they spent about 3 hours a days actually fishing on the same spot close to the lodge the whole time, Come on who goes to canada to fish and would rather sit around the lodge all day then fish. What a joke. I kind of went on and on with this but I can't stand that show.

I used to be a fan of the fishing shows years ago when they were original, now... they are all the same.. I feel like they talk down to me and everyone else is a moron except them in their million dollar boats, oh, and the neverending endorsements for this or that resort/boat/lure, why not just call them informercials and be done with it. With that being said I think the best one out there still is the In Fisherman, still interesting, informative amd not talking down to people.

A few guys have taken shots at Babe Winkleman. Not that I'm trying to defend him, but I met him and thought he was OK.

We were at a resort in Canada for a week and Babe, his crew, and some guests (sponsors??) were there for half the week -- about 10 guys in total. They filmed 2 shows.

For the 3 or 4 days he was there Babe seemed like a good guy, as did all the guys in his crew. Definately not what I had expected as I had heard previously that he could be a jerk. Every evening many of the guests at this resort will gather on a deck overlooking the dock for a few cocktails and to b.s. about the fishing, and Babe and his crew were there every evening as well. They were friendly, outgoing, pleasant, well-behaved, had some good stories, listened when you talked, etc.

The worst thing I can say about Babe is he had the best guide go out early in the morning to locate the fish and toss out marker buoys, then had other boats sit by the buoys to make sure no one fished the spot until after Babe was there with his camera boat. After Babe finished a spot and moved on the guides and the other guys could then fish that spot. That's not too bad in my book.

Just my $.02.

I think Kris Winkleman might have the best Minnesota accent in the state. It's borderline Canadian. "Yah, der a good eatin' fish wid dis may-o-naise sauce and sum of dem dill pickles all cut up in dere."

I thought Tony Capra was busted for smokin' a little geef?

Side note about this thread: A guy calling other guy a "moran" or "ediot"--now that's funny!

I like Al Lindner as well but I heard a story about him that I will share. A friend of mine was up fishing in Canada and Al was taping a show on the same lake. My friend said that Al sat in the boat and read a book while the other guys in the boat would fish. When one of them would hook a fish they would turn the rod over to Al and the taping would resume.

Dave