• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Least favorite fishin' tv shows

Scoot

It would be a toss up between the countless and tireless bass repeats or Tony Dean the Devils lake promoting machine. There is an actual 4 minutes of fishing (for Devils lake jumbos I might add) in the entire episode).

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dimestore Fisherman makes the Three Stooges look like an educational program.

Tony Dean's show seems to be nothing more than a commercial for a different business or guide service every week. If he is so good,why does he need a guide service to take him to the fish???

I think there is a categorical difference between a low budget outfit and the boys with some real sponsorship.

Of those with real sponsorship, I here are the one's I don't like in order of stink.
1. Orlando Wilson-Bill Dance Wannabe and who would wanna be Bill Dance when you could be a wanna be Roland Martin?
2. Jimmy Houston-Never was that good of a fisherman, kind of like Orlando.
3. Bill Dance: Used to think he was the bomb, then I grew up. His show is a waste. His outtakes are hilarious.
4. Babe Winkleman- Al Lindner wannabe.
5. Hank Parker- Great fisherman, family man, and Christian, but I can't deal with the accent.

I totaly agree with seabass, Ive always disliked Midwest Outdoors. You can only see them fish/advertise Rainy lake houseboats, or some canadian pike lake (pivas point or something?) a couple times.

I do like the new Fishing Edge.

Most of these shows provide nothing more than a few glimpses of hope as we patiently await the open water season. They do nothing as far as providing tips and techniques for catching fish. Most of the hosts are traveling to full-service lodges and outfitters and having those people put them on fish. Anyone with a few bucks to get themselves started could do this. The only shows worth watching for quality info. are in-fisherman and the Lindner productions. I have always enjoyed their shows and continue to do so. These are knowledgeable fisherman who have made their living on the water and have done the research themselves. Very seldom do you see these guys hiring guides to get them on fish!

------------------
fish smarter, not harder

I hate the really cheesy ones that look like they are homemade.
My brother hates Bill Dance because he is convinced it is fake and that he's not really catching all the fish, that it is all set up.

Many years ago I took a film crew from Michigan out for 3 days, and they ended up getting 2 shows out of it. Forget the name of the program - it was a small regional deal, but a year later my college roomates and I were channel surfing and lo and behold, there was yours truly netting fish, frying shore lunch and such.
They wanted a smallmouth day, a walleye day and a northern day. The first 2 went well, but the third one found us getting pounded by thunderstorms, high winds, and then the dreaded cold front, and we never did get into a decent 20 lb. fish for the camera. Oh well.
A friend of mine was a bit less fortunate, when he took out a nationally known guy after some smallmouth. Conditions stunk, and they were having a heck of time catching anything. The bass had shut down, and were feeding only in low light conditions - when the cameras couldn't capture the action. They caught a bunch, put them in a pen built of rocks, and then used them when they had good light. They would cast up towards shore, a helper would hook a fish on the line, and then the angler would haul it in, hooting and hollering about the "bite" being on.
I watched the show with him, and he pointed out the rock "holding pen" in the background, and how the same 5 pound bass was caught 4 separate times. We toasted the creativity of the film crew.

Ebass knows how much I hate the walker's cay chronic death syndrome show. If I want to watch someone paint or read a book I'll watch PBS. That show has got to be the most boring and uninformitive fishing programs ever produced!!! It's like a martha stewart show.

Sorry, but that Ron Schara's show, Minnesota Bound, has got to be one of the worst outdoor shows EVER. I get nothing out of watching Belinda Jensen try to show me how to use the newest camping equipment, icefishing rip-offs or camp cooking tips. Ron might be a good guy and all, but he just looks like such a Rube holding a rod and cheesy grin it just makes me roll my eyes. Who writes his putrid script anyways? A team of chain-smoking monkeys handcuffed to typewriters in the back of KARE-11? Raven the Dog's offspring? Alright, I feel a lot better now smile.gif

No use of "asterrisks" to show what you really mean...keep it clean, this is a family site.

[This message has been edited by Tom Herman (edited 02-16-2004).]

Another vote for BJ Outdoors. And why is the "Environmental Journal" with the err. . . non-heterosexual guy on talking about flowers?

I believe these shows on FSN or channel 45 pay for their airtime, but I wish some new blood would take the place of BJ, Midwest Outdoors1/2 hour infomercial and the non-fishing shows that air during Saturday and Sunday mornings.

being in college i find plenty of time to watch the outdoor channel.
bill dance is the best bass fishing show, the rest suck. to be honest. i dont even get a thrill on it anymore. the tournament are where its at cus the fishermen tell u what they are using and why with the conditions they are dealt. ever looked at the standing in the tournies and seen names like roland martin and jimmy houston way down on the list..i have, and i laughed.
in fisherman is hands down the best show.
salt water fishing also sucks, redfish and bonefish on those channels are like bass up here.
what i want to see if these "pros" coming to a local lake and being fishing partners with a local expert. Isnt that really the test of how good a fisherman u are.. catching fish on small, local,pressured lakes.
you got my vote for FM outdoors.

I can't seem to get into any of the red fish stuff, deep sea, panfish, or fly fishing shows.

I like muskie shows the best, then bass tournaments, and then the Lindners are the most informative.

That BJ Outdoors has to be one of the worst I've seen in a while. A couple weeks ago they were fishing for lake trout up in Canada, and apparently the guy doesn't want to handle the fish because it's slimy. So instead, the preferred release method is to shake the fish off the hook. This was repeated many times! These guys make fishermen and hunters look bad!