• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Least favorite fishin' tv shows

Scoot

Some people are hard to understand and dont have good pictures and diagrams like on in fisherman or Bill Dance outdoors. If I decide to have my own fishing show. I know you guys will be honest. Then that one show where nobody talks. I think that is stupid. You dont know what they are using or where they are.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I gotta tell you, now that we've moved to Ely we don't get the Outdoor Channel or OLN, which were the two channels I lived on when we were in Duluth/Superior. Only decent outdoors shows we get are ESPN II on Saturday mornings, and those are a lot of highbrow shows where you need lots of money and cool SUVs to do the stuff they do.

I miss almost all those shows on the Outdoor Channel and OLN.

Only one I don't miss was Roland Martin's. If I never hear him shout "Son!" again, that'll be just fine.

Of course, in another year without those shows, I might even long for Roland's special kind of ego.

OK, OK, I admit it. I hate listening to Bill Dance, too. Because of only one thing. The darn guy can't speak a whole sentence without pausing 12 times before he gets through it. "When fishing — farm pond bass — you always want to — move quietly so you don't — spook any fish."

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 02-16-2004).]

So how come women always want to watch hgtv? What happened to OLN on Comcast? How come we can't demand some real fishing on these shows? What sponsor thinks the fake fishing sells gear? Should "special effects" be a part of a fishing show? I do think Simply has real fishing though. Citgo Bassmasters is the best show on tv today. What's that ESPN show where one beligerent east coast guy competes against a guest? That's the worst show of all time. Ever see Jimmy Houston take the guide's rod right from his hand so he could reel in the big one? The dude caught the guides bite...all time lowest moment in fishing shows. How come most of these shows net the fish?

I wonder why these guys would even have to "set up" fake fishing scenes? Heck, these guys are fishing some prime locations which are loaded with fish! I'd give an arm and a leg to be able to get paid to fish their spots! I quite often bring a video camera fishing and have no trouble getting fish on film. Other than trolling however, the hooksets are the only difficult part to film while fishing. Imagine fishing the spots they're fishing, sheeesh! Keep the cameras rolling!! There's only one reason that I could see things like that happening. Does countless hours of fishing finally take it's toll on a person? Makeing it somehow less enjoyable, or not to be enjoyed at all? I sure the heck hope not!! I'll start enjoying my fishing in "moderation". smile.gif Nothing worse than a "has been", "washed up", old fishing junkie. smile.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

Does anybody remember a couple of years back there was a show called ESPN FISHING HOLE with Jerry McKinnis. It seemed like a decent show. I remeber one of the shows he was fishing sturgeon in the Snake River, between Idaho and Washington. (I think thats where it was) Anyway he caught a huge fish many feet long. They thought it was born close to when Lincoln was president. Does anybody else remember any of them? Now Jerry is one of the hosts for one of the bass tourmament shows. He seems like a decent, normal guy. No big ego.

tdk, Yea I saw that show. They took the photo while standing next to in the water...the fish was 8 feet long or some outrageous length like that. Jerry's show was good. I think it's making a comeback. I thought I saw The Fishing Hole on last weekend? He was fishing trout in a john boat I think.

I guess thies days when every thing on T.V. is an advertisement or so called reality TV. I would rather it be fishing. If it wasn't for the poor qualty fishing shows,who knows what we would get stuck watching. Even with 300 chanels to choose from it seems theres never any thing on the tube. So even if theres a realy bad fishing show on TV,it's better than nothing.

Wisconsins Waters and Woods would be a MUCH better show if John kept his yap shut for much of the show.
I remember when his show first started he fished a local walleye lake. He did ok and as usual kept fish for a fish fry. UNFORTUNATELY for him that lake had/has a different size/bag limit compared to most of the rest of the state. John and his guide did'nt know that though. SOMEHOW they managed to miss the BIG SIGN posting size/bag limits at the launch ?
So there he was shouting NICE WALLEYE x 3 and in the well it/they went. I knew right away they were undersized fish and was wondering to myself just how stupid is this guy ? To film yourself catching and keeping undersized fish then broadcasting it ? Talk about a high lame factor ! LOL
To Johns credit though next weeks show started out with a warden giving him a ticket for keeping undersized fish. Then again , there was no denying what he had done. LOL

GEEMAN, that's hilarious! I must've missed that episode. Where were they fishing? On the Wisconsin River somewhere? I'm telling ya, as you already know, WI. has different bag and size limits it seems for every body of water. A heads up is needed when ventureing out on to new waters in WI.. Check the launch sites for posted regulations guys!

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

CIBL , They were fishing on Lake Delevan down by Lake Geneva. That was a few years ago that they filmed that show.
Another thing that bugs me about Gillopski is every fish they catch is a NICE FISH x 3 or is a SLOBO !
He filmed a catfish show on the Rock River here about 5 or so years ago. I happened to be out Catfishing too and saw em in action first hand. They caught some Cats which were of course "NICE FISH " I don't know. He must have been refering to the fishes NICE disposition because a 14" Catfish is'nt exactly what I would call a nice fish. LOL

Did you see the one where they were Crappie fishing up to Fox Lake a few winters ago ? It was a late day/eve show. Anyhow , in one of the evening shots you could see a couple dead soldiers ( PBR cans ) laying at Johns feet in front of his portable. I also know there just happened to be a tavern not too far from the spot they were filming. It sure looked/sounded to me like the guy was half lit by the end of the show. Nothing wrong with a pop or two but that guys obnoxious enough sober I think. LOL

He is a great reason to see what is on another channel. I met Virgil Ward when I lived in Colorado. I always called him Virgil Nerd. The name seemed to fit very well. When I moved to SD, he did a show about fishing for Silver Bass here. I got sick of hearing "MAN WHAT A NICE WHITE BASS!"

------------------
STAY ON TOP

Well,,, I'm for one, tired of hearing Roland Martin calling everyone "Son". Since he lost a little weight, bleached his hair, divorced his wife Mary Ann, and got a new "Dolly", I think hes shows have gone down the tubes!! Thats my thoughts in a NUT Shell.... Kaz

this thread is Hilarious! thanks for all the gut busting comments.

I think they should put old Virgil Ward reruns on. I laughed at them when I was 8 years old and I would laugh at them again.

"My son Greg will now show you what lures and jigging action we used to catch the fish on this weeks show"

Anyone out there remember show with the Beefy blond that would wear the skin tight jeans? Her pants were so tight that she couldn't sit down in the boat. She had a real "up nort" accent.

Has anyone seen Orlando Wilson lift and drop his rod tip (while a small fish was on the line) at the side of the boat, to make it look like the baby bass was tail-walking?

I'll never forget that. Also, I remember him as the king of the arial toss-back fish release. I swore I'd never watch that guy again after seeing him do that kind of nonsense.......

I agree they need to bring back Virgil to the TV so we can watch what stupid thing Greg will do this week. Virgil new his fishing but I don't think his son had one brain cell in his whole head. I watched an episode as a kid I will never forget, Virgil and Greg were out in Pierre SD fishing for white bass and Greg caught a small pike and attempted to pick the fish up by the bottom lip he almost got the teeth until Virgil stopped him. My whole family used to sit around the TV and watch that show and we were all chanting for Greg to stick his hand in the pike's mouth. Alot of good memories watching Virgil Ward and the fish tank

Neighboor, I think you're talking about Debra Johanneson. Canadian girl, fished Ontario resorts and gave them a plug while fishing their waters. Talked to her at a sports show once. Seems like a regular sportsperson, one. you could pound some brews and talk with, would probably be a blast fishing with her. Haven't seen or heard of her for a few years now.

A good college buddy was her cameraman for a year or so.
Last time I saw her program it was on public access. I think she had problems getting sponsors cause she went from being on regular TV to that...oh well, the show was worth a good laugh and she did catch a ton of fish...but geeze, her accent killed me!

Her co-host, Kevin Geary bought a resort I think. That guy could catch the large northerns. That is why I used to love to watch that show.

I have seen him at the Minneapolis sports show for his resort. I searched Google for Debra Johannesson and could not find anything. She has a HSOforum that is under construction.

When I was about 14 I was at my best friends house and the the phone rang and his dad picked up. He starts talkin fishin with this guy (he was a locals local if ya know what i mean) Finally he says sure I'll take ya out if I can bring my boy and his friend. He hangs up and tells me to go get my fishin gear and be back in an hour. I get back just as Rollin Martin get out of his rig. So we toke Rollin to our spot on lake zipperlip and are just nailin the crappies and we figured out why he says OOH SON! an camera. It's because off camera every other word out of his mouth is sonofab^%&%$#
Now every time I see that show I have to laugh wodering how much film gets cut 'cause he forgot the camera was "Rollin"

Debra Johannesson, now that was a great show, I think she was also a champ lumber jill.
Gillespi (sp), I love him, evan though he ran some reruns around the beginning of the year. I talked to Pete Maina once and he said John is one of the greatest guys you would ever want to know, he just has allot of nervous energy.
Babe, love his books, hate his show.
I have nothing but great respect for Rowland, Bill Dance, Orlando, and the other old timers. They are the ones that started fishing on TV.
The Lindners are gods, evan though that would go against thier religuious beliefs.
Mesakomer is a total jerk. I met him once on the lake and once at a show and both times he was a jerk.
I think if we got all our kids under 5 together and gave them a camera and a bunch of rods they would make a better show then BJ Outdoors.
Hank Parker is the MAN, Great fisherman and ocasional race car owner.
Fish Fihburn, Go Fish, is now the wieghmaster at all the big BASS tournaments. Go Fish was probably the greatest fishing show ever. My kid still misses it and she doen't evan like to fish anymore.

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN