• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Least favorite fishin' tv shows

Scoot

Sorry Pete Z.- I can't stand the Courtney and Shelly show. Where did they get these gals? "Oh yah, dat's a nice one der Shel... I'd say aboooout two pounds." What other shows you all dislike and why?

------------------
Scoot

So I got dat goin’ for me… which is nice.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A pox on your house Scoot! Running down those nice young ladies, and their charming Canuck accents!

Ah well. For me, I'd have to say I absolutely can't stand the Bob Mehsikomer (sp?) "Simply Fishing" shows. I'm sure he's a nice enough guy, but I don't care for the way he barks orders at his "guest" fishermen, as if they were total morons.

Almost every time I go fishing in the summer, once during the day I have to look at someone out there and say "That person watches waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much TV." You know what I mean? If I had to pick, I'd say if I ran across a bass fishing show while channel surfing, I'd skip past it just like I skip past QVC.(Can you tell I'm not into that?)...........T

I know this isn't freshwater, but I hate Walker's Kay Chronicles. This guy drives me up a wall. It's like a english and short story writing class, with as little meaningless fishing as possible. I think it sucks!

I second that Walker Kay show. I don't like and Czonka show either. It's just him fishing for trout in some stream in Canada that I'll never see.

Dimestore fisherman is worth about a dime.

Man, wouldn't it be great to have a FM fishing show hosted by roatating Pro Staffers? You reading this Rick? Watch Matt Johnson slam slab winter crappies on local lakes! Adam Alder on late winter MilleLacs perch techniques! Spring time channels on the Red by Ed! Now there's a show for the Outdoor channel!

The absolute worst fishin' show was "fishmasters" Anyone remember that one, with two nutty waynes world wannabees that were always trying to sneak into private ponds, and one of them always wore a orange life jacket, even tho he never went in a boat, and the only time I ever saw them catch a fish it was a crappie on the opening of the show, and I don't even know if he got it in!

------------------
simul iustus et peccator

><}}}}("< ---><!>

What about our buddy, Brett Winkler? Is his show still on Saturday mornings? A man, his boat, a camera with tri-pod, and countless snakes while bass fishing some obscure metro pond. Nice guy, but more of a public-access show. I'll pass on the bumper sticker or hat, Brett.
Midwest Outdoors is ok, or should I say the ad for Minor Bay Lodge spiced in with a few minutes of actual fishing. Who's that ham-n-egger who says "it's a keeper?"
BJ is horrible--makes Winkler look like Bill Dance.
Man, that felt good.

I dont watch to many outdoor tevelvision shows but when I do I like to watch
Angling ege with Dave Linder or anything with in-fisherman. I also like
Bill Dance outdoors,
Rolland Martin,
Back roads with Ron and Raven,
and his other show Minnesota Bound.
I got to meet Ron and he is a nice guy with a dream job.

Who remembers "Fishing with Virgil Ward"
I was pretty young back then but I do remember he would run a lure in an aquarium to show you how to "work it".He had some pretty thick glasses on him too.
Classic stuff!!!

Oh yeah,How about that Virgil Ward theme song.
"From the lakes of northern Canada,to the Gulf of Mexico,where ever fish are bitin',thats where I want to go........

Still can't get it out of my head!!

Oh how I miss the Outdoor Channels.

Dimestore fisherman (dimebag fisherman) features two stoned looking dudes out fishing. And the blonde one looks like David Lee Roth and is way too loud for his own good. Mellow out dude and quit eating those mushrooms! smile.gif

Critizing Courtney and Shelly? This is what I need in my life, a female fishing partner that is not afraid to bait the hook and cleans up real nice!

The one I don't enjoy is Bill Dance. I respect him, and he is a great fisherman, but he just seems tired after fishing the same species for 20 years all by himself. Just seems to be the same show recycled.

Anything with Roland Martin gets out the channel changer. His compulsive need to weigh everything to prove his was bigger, (might be something Freudian there!) bugs me. Mehsikomer's barking orders wouldn't make him a good fishing partner but ya gotta admire anyone from Hugo that can get his own fishing show. Angling Edge, In-Fisherman, Joe Bucher, entertain me AND teach me!!

[This message has been edited by Long Gray Line (edited 02-06-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Long Gray Line (edited 02-06-2004).]

BJ - beating up trophy's since 1995" - Outdoors

John - "I'm drunk on Pabst" - Gillespie

Tony - "wake me when it's over" - Dean

Who told Babe Winkleman anyone cared what awful food his gal had cooking? They are a perfect match. The two stiffest human beings on TV.

I'll throw in my $.02.

My biggest pet peeve, for hunting or fishing shows, is when the guy on camera keeps asking the cameraman "you got him, can you see him, have you got him, can I take him now, etc". Drives me nuts. Edit that dump out before it gets on TV.

Now my least favorite shows ...
BJ Outdoors is the worst, unless you like seeing guys reel fish up to the end of the rod, then hoist them out of the water by grabbing the rod 12" from the tip, then drop the fish in the floor of the boat.

Bob Meshikomer (I think I spelled that wrong) would have a lot better show if he ever gave his guests any camera time, if he'd stop giving orders, and if he'd quit breathing heavily into the microphone every time he unhooked a fish.

The Capra's show gets on my nerves. Might be my imagination, but do those guys seem more and more smug every time they get on TV? And they could articulate a little more for my liking.

Bill Dance does a great job of telling us conditions, baits, water temps, techniques, etc. He never points out that he's on some private pond somewhere, but you can see shore on all 3 sides of him in most camera shots.

Midwest Outdoors is starting to drive me nuts also. Lots of guys have commented on the commercials. And how about some fresh material? I've seen enough of Roger Cormier in Voyaguers National Park, enough of Eagle Lake in Ontario, and enough of Walt and Poppy in Northern Wisconsin. Can't we mix in something different once in a while.

Gillespie is the best. Whether you like his excitable personality or not, you have to admire filming a show one weekend and getting it on the air a week or two later.