Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Grump

Leavin' on a jet plane.....

All

I posted this on the Open Water forum, but thought I'd put it here too, since I know some of you are waiting for open water.

On Sunday morning (8th) about 11.00, I will be on my way to Orlando. Temps down there have been in the 70's & 80's this week, and the WeatherUnderground forecast for next week is a slight "cooling" trend - partly cloudy and temps in the low to mid 70's.

I have to work M/T/W (attending a software user group conference at the Disney complex), but come Th & F, I will be sitting on Lk Okeechobee, fishing for LM Bass. For those of you who aren't familar with the Big "O", it is to LMB as Mille Lacs is to walleye, and Leech is to muskie.

With a little (OK - ALOT) of luck,
I hope to put something 6# or better in the boat.

According to the info I have (from guys I know down there), the bass are busy spawning right now.

Will be returning to the frozen tundra on Sat, and may hit the ice on Sunday (15th)
(bringing this thread back on topic).

Will post the details when I get back.

UG

UG,

Good luck on the big "O". I myself have hired a guide and fished there once. The guide was great and we caught many fish. The guide told me there are more 10lb bass is Lake O than all the rest of the lakes in the USA.

Now the bad news. There is about a million 1-1.5 lbers for every 10 lber. He actually said that if I was looking for a trophy bass I should have hired a guide and fished the lakes in the Orlando area like the Kissimmee chain or Toho. The density of large fish is much higher in thos chains than it is on the big O.

Good luck. It is a fun lake to fish!

WG

UNCLE GRUMP
Have fun...I'm leaving in a week to Sanibel Island and going to get into some Bone fishing and maybe some Tarpon. Tired of all the snow, I am!

The joke may be on me gang.....

Check this snippet I just lifted from Weather Underground (a/o 4am) for the Orlando area:

"Wind Chill Advisory in effect until 9 am."

A flippin' cold front blew in.

AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

UG

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Yeah I am afraid with the pandemic and lots of new people resorting to outdoor activities. Are we going to see that transition to hard water also? I think its great to see people enjoying the outdoors. I just hope it doesn't turn into a zoo at every lake like it has this summer on the lakes and rivers that I have been fishing. The thundering herds could be interesting this year.
    • Well trained youngins following Mama to the bird feed scattered on the ground under the deck. An annual late summer event.
    • Just a friendly note to book your ice houses early this year. Spent the past week researching sleepers for my annual ice fishing trip with the buddies in January. Found quite a few places on the popular lakes (Red, LOTW, etc.) already booked up.  Not sure if they always book up this early, or if this year is special because everyone has been so cooped up, but I wouldn't wait much longer if you want to book a weekend this winter.
    • I have the 17” but I usually only cook for two, so it’s perfect plus it’s portable.
    • I have to agree with @rundrave, and should’ve added to make sure you use the command “Down” so he knows this is a no-no.  Once he gets the drift Down means get down or get a knee, he’ll be hesitant to jump up on new people and you can prevent it by telling him Down before he jumps.     Say it, then instantly follow up with the negative reinforcement if he doesn’t immediately comply.  Saying it at the same time seems less effective if not said before as a warning.
    • Knee to the chest has got him to not jump up like that on me or my family. He is mainly jumping up at strangers to him. I tell people to do that and some do and he quits. I am hoping to figure out a way to stop that. I have a training collar for him but it’s never on when someone just stops by. He has not had his dew claws removed.    I had been feeding him 1.5 cups 3 times a day but switched to 2 cups twice a day. Don’t ask why I was doing 3 times a day because I really have no idea. He seems to eat slower now with the twice a day. Not sure if that had anything to do with the loose stools either.    Thanks for all all the help so far. 
    • The only gripe that I have heard on the Blackstones is to stay away from the ones that have the "grease gutter" in the front versus the pan in the rear. I have a friend that bought one with the front gutter and didn't like it, so he sold it and bought the model with the single rear cutout. Mine has the grease trap in the front left corner, but is cutout with a pan and not a gutter system
    • Does he have dew claws removed? Next time he jumps if the knee to the chest doesn't work grab both front legs and apply hard sharp pressure with the tips of your thumbs to where the dew claw were removed from. Give a firm command "Down!" as you do it and pull his legs to the ground. It wont be pleasurable for the dog and he will get the message loud and clear that jumping is not tolerated.    As for food I agree lots of options. Like I said I didnt have any issues with Diamond. I more so switched to Purina just because I have seen how much they support the industry. Huge sponsor to pheasants forever etc. Support those that support you.
    • Yes, stay away from the grain free dog foods. My vet also recommended Royal Canin, Science Diet, and Purina Pro Plan.
    • Knee to the chest is the only way I’ve seen that broken with any dog.  You’re exactly right, they like to get face to face socially but have to learn it’s the option of the person to bend down to them.
  • Topics

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.