• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Fishing TV Shows?

early007

Whats your favorite fishing show on television? This time of the year I just can't get enough fishing on TV. Personally my favorites cover the tournaments like the Bassmasters and one of my new favorites, Angler on Tour on the Outdoor Channel. There are a lot of good ones. Tony Dean has a decent show as does Gillespie. What do you guys think?

Jason

Gillespie is the king!! You have got to admire his enthusiasm and the fact he does 50 shows a year. Tapes the show early in the week, plays it on the weekend so it is always timely. Never a repeat and the ones where he catches a musky are a must tape.

Angler Edge with the Lindners is excellent also. They took all the talent of In Fisherman and use cutting edge photography. This is the best quality show overall.

Dean has been showing repeat of shows from the early to mid 90's lately. Enjoy his shows but need new material.

I tend to only watch those that have to deal with the season we are currently in. If I'm gonna be ice fishing I want to see Ice fishing. I don't want to see someone out in a t-shirt open water when it's the middle of December. So I tend to say those that are around here. But I have noticed that some are now replaying shows. Give me a break I've seen it once I don't want to see it again.

I wish I had cable, I love shows that cover tournaments. Bassmasters, FLW, MN Pro AM whatever.

All I am aware of that I can get right now is Linders Angling Edge which has the best photography in the business.

Any of the shows filmed in the midwest. Especially the shows on walleys fishing. The IN FISHERMAN shows are decent too. You can learn some new things with them. One of the worst(imo) would have to be Bill Dance. It looks like he fishes the same pond/lake every show. When he comes on the channel gets changed.

Well im going to have to say that there are alot of good ones out there all ready but some of mine also are, fishing the midwest, in-fisherman, fishing with Joe Bucher, Babe Winkelmens Good fishing, and finally last but not least fishing with roland martin...I love to watch them on open water when its hard H20, and vice versa when its open i like to watch hard water...i just think there isnt very many hard water shows out there at all, am i wrong???

I'll give another vote for Gillespie. He is the most entertaining, not the most educating. But I enjoy the fact that the shows are timely and from the midwest. How many Linney's do you think he has before each show?

I'm with Chemist, in the winter I want to see the tips and tackle that will help me now, not in May.
Midwest Outdoors does a great job with ice fishing. I also like Winklman and the Linders Edge.
Is it me or do a lot of these shows use more air time telling you about the lodge they are staying at and who put them on the fish than they do fishing. I know that's how they fund the show but it seems to be a bit much lately. And another thing, show us the different presentations, structures, and baits, not just the same old shot of a fish marked on the Vex. Let's see some new ideas. Everytime I meet a new group of guys on the ice, someone has a new idea or toy. Why can't they show some on TV? Wow, this kind of turned into a rant. Sorry.
By the way did anyone catch the Ice Fishing Championship on North American Fishing Club on the Outdoor Channel last nite. GREAT JOB!!!

Ahh Virgil Ward. A pioneer. When I was a kid I couldn't wait to see if his show would be on on a Sunday morning. Still find myself singing the tune once in a while.... from the lakes of Minnesota - to the gulf of Mexico--- whereever the fish are biting--- that's where we're gonno go. (or something like that.) Wish I had a tape of an old show just for nostalgia.

Otherwise now it's the Lindner's Edge or Joe Bucher and some others.

I can't stand the way Gillespie says (yells) everything 3 times. Watch next time and see what I mean.

He's got one on, He's got one on, He's got one on. It's a big one, It's a big one, It's a big one. Get 'em in the hole, Get 'em in the hole, Get 'em in the hole. Oh it's not as big as I thought, Oh it's not as big as I thought, Oh it's not as big as I thought.

ccarlson

I personally do not care for most of the "sports" shows. Having to chose one is still chosing evil-yet Gillipse (sp) I'd have to say is the most enjoyable one to watch if forced to do so. Given the opportunity any one of us could be put in the same place and catch the same fish. In addition to that most sport shows today glorify a particluial area thus drawing more attention to it. Look at what field and stream has done to the best hunting/fishing spots. Most of what I have learned about fishing comes from other fisher people -- asking them, trying it out, this board, etc. They do deserve credit though and that they took the risk, esp the older timers ie babe, al, and the ones before them when it was a risk.

There used to be a show on one of the sport channels called Fish On. Three young women went to many warm salt water fishing spots and caught lots of fish. They must have had a low budget, because they couldn't afford a lot of clothes, but the girls fished anyway. They were so dedicated that one of the girls had her bikini bottom come untied while she was fighting a fish and she kept on fighting it. That's a true fisher person.

One show I really like, when they're fishing, is Minnesota Bound. I really like Ron Schara's perspective on things. He offers a little fishing insight and a lot about what fishing and the outdoors should be about. I also like the fact that when he goes fishing you don't get the same thing, of always fishing on a lake, in a boat. With Schara you get little canoe trips, and shore fishing, without a lot of technology. Minnesota Bound gets my vote.

My fav is the MN Pro Bass Tourney, but I have only seen it a few times each year. I like it because they fish lakes I normally fish. (Tonka, Whitefish Chain etc) I only wish that they would show lake maps and where each angler was fishing, kinda like they do on the Bassmasters. That way I could pickup a few tips on what the local pros look for in structure on local lakes.

Muskieguy....

P.S. Was at a canadian outpost camp at the same time as the crew of BJ Outdoors, super nice guys, but their show needs some work.

My vote is for "Linders Angling Edge" It seems to be the most informative show out there. Runner up is any show about a tournament. I always watch Virgil Ward too. It's to bad one of these cable channels don't show some of his old shows.