• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Metallica Single

hoppe56307

Well I can't say I have heard it too many times, then again I haven't listened to 93x since I put Sirius in my car and boat.

Anyway when I did catch the new tune, my thoughts were this, the music kind of reminded me of the good ol days of Metallica, the vocals left much to be desired, and the big downfall on "the day that never comes" for me was the drums or rather the extreme lack there of, it almost seemed like the drums weren't even there.

But this is all just my opinion.

Been let down too many times in recent years expecting so more from their releases that I just don't even get excited about them.

The whole CD is pretty decent. There's 3 tracks that stand out, "The Day that Never Comes" and "The Unforgiven III" both are more mellow. "The Unforgiven III" is a better track IMO. "Suicide & Redemption" is a 10 minute instrumental, with lots of Kirk. Otherwise "All Nightmare Long" is the best track on the CD. The rest of the tracks all have the 16th note riffs and double bass pedal/snare fests you'd expect of their 80's albums. Hetfield seems to be trying a little too hard in his lyrics/vocals, a little more basic and raw and this album would have hit the nail square on the head.

I think the new songs sound good. Of course they don't sound like Kill em All or MOP, those were 20-25 years ago (great albums - yes). You have to listen to them a time or two to really jam to them. You can hear all the songs from the new album online (Youtube, Metallica.com, etc). I dig them all. I will be buying it Friday!

Boy, people are fired up about the audio quality, or lack thereof, of this new album. When I first popped it in I noticed that it didn't sound as good as their other albums which were recorded and mixed very well. Apparently I wasn't alone in those observations and other's have said the same thing. What made it even more apparent was the release of the new album on Guitar Hero, which they say sounds much, much better since it's not compressed like it is on the CD.

The mastering engineer for the CD version of D-Mag was Ted Jensen of Sterling Sound. He wrote an email to a concerned fan, who then posted it to the Metallica forums:

“I’m certainly sympathetic to your reaction, I get to slam my head against that brick wall every day. In this case the mixes were already brick walled before they arrived at my place. Suffice it to say I would never be pushed to overdrive things as far as they are here. Believe me I’m not proud to be associated with this one, and we can only hope that some good will come from this in some form of backlash against volume above all else.”

Death Magnetic appears to have been ruined in the final mixing stage. It’s here that all the songs were heavily compressed, peak limited, and otherwise turned into static mush. That’s where all the problems lie.

Metallica made its new album available for play on Guitar Hero the same day as the commercial album’s release. Because of the game’s development time, Neversoft, GH’s creators, were given tapes that preceded the final mix. Put simply, they have a second mix of the album.

This is a stunning surprise, one that will in all likelihood save this album. The GH mix contains none of the heavy compression of the CD or LP versions. None of the squashing, none of the squeezing of the sounds. None of the painful jabs into your ears. Dynamic range is present in the songs. Quiet moments in songs like Unforgiven III and The Day That Never Comes are quiet, and the loud parts are loud. This is a completely different album than the version the mixing engineer destroyed.

There has even been a petition started that asks the band to remix/remaster the CD!! The "Black" album was one of the best sounding CD's they made, IMO. This is far, far from that.

I finally got their new CD and listened. With school and a new job, it's been tough to squeeze in things that really matter! wink It's an intense Metallica treat and I'm just so darned happy that it kicks St. Anger's butt! I'm sure we were all a little afraid that this CD would disappoint. It certainly does not. Each song is complex and well balanced. Good job Metallica!