• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

British Labradors?

SWMuskeye

Anyone own one? I'm thinking about one because when I've pheasant hunted with smaller labs- they seem to have a little more pep than the larger labs. Can anyone comment on how they are over open water? Would that small of a lab have trouble with bringing back a goose? Thanks for the replies.

I have a 60lb male that will hunt all day in the field. He has retrieved many geese on land and in the water. I will say he has never failed to retrieve any bird dead or alive, but last season he swam a very long way to get a wounded goose. It took a long time and the goose put his head under several times. He got the goose in, but after the hunt I found that he had swimmers tail. Not positive, but I would guess that he got that during his struggle with the goose. He still never hesitates to go after any injured bird. The drive in these dogs, not just mine, is like nothing I have seen and why I purchased one.

Good luck

SWMmuskeye,

I have a 4 1/2 year old British Lab that is about 57lbs. He is a machine. We hunted three to five days a week last season and he just wanted to go,go,go.

Great in the water and no problem with geese. I have seen smaller British Labs then mine retrieve a goose with no problem.

Before you purchase a pup go and check out all the breeders you can find and then go to Royalty British Kennels.(I hope I didn't say to much for the homeboys)

Dan

P3210226.jpg

I know one guy who has a female and that thing is an animal on pheasants. I have never seen a dog that won't quit and never gets tired. She also has a nose as good as any pointer. They are nice dogs.

I have a 6 month old British Lab. She is still too young to know how she will be in the field, but everything I have heard about these dogs has been great. Her demeanor is very calm, but has plenty of drive in her at times. Listens well and is very smart at her age. I am still in the very early stages with mine, but she has been just great. I think they are a great breed. Check out Old Oak Kennels in Blooming Prairie (Rick). He has very good breeding as well.