• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snowplowing on lakes

LwnmwnMan2

I've seen some people out plowing roads and around their houses now that we actually have snow. I understand that it's hard to get around, especially if you've got a 2 wheel drive or a car and it's nice if someone can clear off the snow. My only concern is when guys pile the snow up 6-7' because they want an area with no snow in a 20' radius around the house. Then when they move the house, these piles are sitting in the lake where snowmobilers can't see them at night, especially when the house was set up near where a trail comes across the lake. About 6 years ago my cousin hit one of these piles and landed where the house was, on his head. Now he's paralyzed from the waist down. I'd just thought I'd leave a little note for all of the people that have perm. houses, or have buddies that have perms, that if you go out plowing, try to keep the piles shorter if possible, so if someone on a snowmobile does hit them, hopefully it won't be strait up into the air for them. Thanks.

Lwn

The real bad one is the ice chunks left from spear holes. Surpriseing how many there are out there. We used to break them up into smaller peices when we found them, cause if one of those big chunks freezes down to the ice there no give what so ever, we must have broken up about 15 or so big chunks last year on one lake and at the end of the season I still managed to find one with my sled the hard way, ended up spending about 300 bucks in repairs and thanking the lord I didn't break my neck.

[This message has been edited by silveroddo (edited 02-04-2004).]

I feel very lucky after reading this post. I hit a plowed road 3 weeks ago and only lost my sled. I was banged up but ok. I don't blame the plowed road. It was my fault.
You definitely cannot assume a clear path on the lake. If your going to go fast you need to check out the path first.

Not to sound insenative but I believe it is everyone's responsibility to use all due care and judgement in everything they do.
I have witnessed many times snowmobiles going at full throttle across small crowded metro lakes and I believe it is just a matter of time before someone get killed wich will of cross swing the knee jerk law makers into action and ban sleds from all lakes.
SO
It is the snowmobliers responsability to travel safely and not abuse the privilige of riding on lakes or they will have thier own selves to blame for any outcome.
I used to look forward to ice fishing for one big reason, no jet skis, but now there are so many snowmobiles out there that I don't know what to do.

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

sorry to hear about your cousin. That is a tragedy. I just wonder how fast and would have it made a difference if the house was there. Too often I have seen those machines raceing across the lake. after all there is a 40 mph speed limit on the lake. My neighbor had one run into his parked truck in the middle of the day. the guy had the nerve to yell at him and ran off. Too many time have some reckless fool race right past me with no regard to my or my kids safty.

perfect example,we were fishing on buffalo early ice,severalsleds were screaming around the end of the lake that had a hole two inches of snow,back and forth,right past people walking out to fish,studs or no studs,your not going to stop when your doing 80mph,and out of control,some where running ten to fifteen yards away from some fishhouses on bare ice,isnt there a speed limit on lakes

Yes, there is a snomobile speed limit in Minnesota. 50 MPH, even on the lakes. Wardens often give out tickets for speeding on lakes.

It really is down to the guy driving the sled to see and avoid objects.

Road banks are not the only hazard. I saw the aftermath of a sled that hit a pressure ridge at night a few years ago. We were on Lake Gogebec in the UP, and this guy hit a ridge at night. Cracked his sled up pretty good, ripping up his hood and creasing his tunnel. He was lucky to walk away.

I am getting the feeling that people are wanting to blame the snowmobiler for whatever happens to them on the lake, assuming they are breaking the speed limit if they do hit an object (ice chunk, big snow bank etc.) I do both, I snowmobile and I ice fish and I think everybody should be responsible for making the ice safe. I do the speed limit on the lakes but have had some close calls myself with spearhouse ice junks they are hard to see on the white snow in the middle of day especially. I mean if I cut a big hole in the lake on a plowed road leading to your fish house and your truck goes through because of what I did, sorry that is your fault should of gotten out and checked that crack before crossing. I mean lets all have some common sense. Drive the speed limit, but also don't leave any possible hazzards behind that could create a problem. If you make a big snow bank, maybe knock it down when you leave. Break down the ice chunk or chuck on shore away from harm when possible, drive the speed limit on lake. Just keep it safe all the way around!!

------------------
I like Tail

ceasr ,, somer of us have sleds thaqt do go faster and like to ,,, if you would like me to drive just the limit all the time ,, how about springing for the new plugs i will need to replace cause they fouled out ,, at darn near 6$ a peice and running a triple, it will be costly .. i'll pay my own fine if caught grin.gif

C'mon. You don't have to drive 100 miles an hour just because you've got a triple. I've got 2 triples and I get to go 35 miles an hour when my wife rides the second one. My plugs are just fine. Maybe you need to get a new snowmobile if it's that bad. It's people with the mentality that think because the snowmobile can do 100, it's their right to do 100. That's just the reason that others say what they do about sleds.

Also, sometimes when you're on a lake, you might want to look quick and see if there is a marked snowmobile trail around. I know that Chisago, N. Center and S. Center all have marked trails on them. My wife and I stay on the trails, but there will be people that set their houses not 10 feet from one of the posts marking the trail. I guess if you're doing that, you probably shouldn't be complaining.

Lwn

no i dont have to do 100 all the time and dont ,, but on the other hand i dont beleive for i second that you havent opened up those triples that you own either. the start of this was more about riding and having common sense correct? i am gald you dont have a plug problem with your sleds. i do find it VERY hard to beleive that thou . my last question would be this ,, if all you do is drive 35 miles and hour or even 50 ,, why spennd the money on a higher hp seld like a triple to start with ? status symbol? kinda like alot of Harley owners in todays world?..
I just reread your post there and seen you do ride 35 when wife is with ... What about when she is not is the real question here i guess

[This message has been edited by rockhardinmn (edited 02-05-2004).]

doesnt the people fishing have some resonsibility for safe ice condition? one would get the feeling reading this that some may leave banks and ice chunck for sleds to hit. ( to slow them damm machines down) sounds criminally to me!yet thoses few idiots who buzz your shack at ridiculous speeds need to be reported, fined,spanked and lose there driving privilages for 1 year. got to be hard on plow trucks hitting those ice chuncks. i ride and fish, yet people on both sides do things that are not right and ruin it for the others. thats my 4 cents worth.

[This message has been edited by pj4 (edited 02-05-2004).]

i do happen to agree with you Pj.. i do both also, and both.. fishermen/women and sledders both have to have some respect for each other and to me that means no buzzing of houses or fisherman and not leaving things on the ice that can cause damage to whatever a person drives on the ice . i wonder this ; what would be the effects of me cutting a hole big enough to work a crank bait in the winter would be to fisherman and sledders ? who would complain about my ignorance if they hit that spot ? the fisherpeople or the sledders?

rockhard -

I'm 31 years old. The reason that I have 2 triples (96 XCR SP 600) is because my cousin was selling them, he needed the money. My wife was going to buy me a 500 for my birthday, but it was sold before she committed to it. I don't have a snowmobile to drive fast. I have a snowmobile to ride on trails, to spend time with my wife. I realize that there are many many people that want to drive 60-70-80 or even 100, and they have every right in my opinion, but with all the farm fields and such, why do people have to do it on the lakes, especially with the snow cover we have now. I would think with the uncertanties with pressure ridges, ice chunks, plowed roads where plowed roads weren't 2 days ago, that people would slow down on the lakes.

Lwn

lets see if i can answer to some of the things you said above ,, why on lakes ? well i can only say for myself not others . before i open up my sled on a lake i 1st do a few things , i look for roads plowed, ridges, then fisherpeople/ice houses , then traffic . in that order cause of what is easy to see. the traffic is a changing one you have to watch. lakes ore for the most part the flatest. might be the reason they have radar runs on Lakes ?also once you do as i said above safest in my opinion also. in fields there can be a number of things to hit and if the snow is not packed down all you are doing is playing in powder. spinning snow down alot and soon you are driving on a turned over field. even here on the lake now it is only starting to pack in enough to get a decent bite, it was if you hit the gas hard without studs all you did was sit and spin , without studs i couldnt pull my portable. the worst part of speed on fields is fences ,, be it barbed or other wise. ever hit one consider yourself lucky to not at least needing some stiching up( knock on wood ,, been lucky so far). rocks? seen a buddy hit one once totaled sled and trip to hospital for him . there are aslo not to many feilds that are flat for 1000feet.
on lakes they just plow off a section and run radar runs ,, in a feild it would take a ton of prep time and maninence to hold a radar run .
as a matter of info , i do love to trail ride . cut my teeth on the iron range long b4 the trail system is what it is today . have rode all of the iron trail from ely to rapids and back a few times . more than once i have pulled aside to let a group high balling fly by.then again i have been behind a groomer on 1 of the old rail grades and stopped , turned around and let her fly .got the best top end ever out my sled grin.gif was it dangerous ? yeah some what i guess if you consider what might be comming out of the woods like deer,wolves, moose. or whateverelse may come out of the woods . recall c.o.officer years ago getting run over after a sledder ran a dnr check point/ speed trap? Lets see how smart we are here to step out in front of a seld that just ran the stop sign doing over 90mph? cost that guy alot. his dealership for sled/atvs and i dont think he was alowed to drive or race a seld again. he was into the pro raceing circut.
in closing as i said above , its fine if done safely.to me it is the same as all these people in the metro not driving their cars/trucks in a safe manner for the conditions of the roads this past week in the cities,or any other time.. just try driving the speed limit at rush hour some time wink.gif