• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Noise Ninja tips

Mike, make sure you download and install the ISO profiles for your camera from the Noise Ninja Web site. That way when you tell the program to profile the image it'll have the right profile. They're free and easy to install (instructions included). 'Course, maybe you already did that. grin

I haven't played around much with it at all, just usually using default settings, which has worked very well.

I also rarely use it to remove noise from the main portion of my subject, like a face, because it tends to soften things just slightly. So I do a lot of lassoing and selective noise reduction on shadows and some mid range areas when needed.

The first thing to do is go to their site and download the profile for your camera. It will make the noise removal more accurate.

Go easy on using it globally, it has a tendency to make skin look plastic and if used strongly can knock a lot of detail out.

It does work good if you use it only on selected parts of your photo such as a background. I also use it for sharpening, if you are interested in that technique let me know I can e-mail you the settings, though they are specific to the Mark IIN. Some experimenting will get you close though.

Hope that helps.

Ok, so I have the image open in Photoshop. I open the noise ninja filter. Now I click on "Profiles" and I load the appropriate profile for the ISO and camera? Is that right? Is that all there is to in unless I need to mess around with it some?

Thanks

Mike, I'm going from memory here, but I think that's all you have to do. You MAY have to close PS and reopen it once the profiles are loaded, but I'm not sure.

The directions, as I recall, are there on the NN site where you download the profiles.

Did you load profiles not only for the D80 but for your older camera(s) so you can do finer NN work on your older images?

I got the profiles loaded from the HSOforum. Just making sure I am processing the image correctly. Thanks for reminding me, I'll download the profiles for the D50 as well. Great idea. I know I have images that I could save from that one.

Thanks

Mike I actually use different numbers than the default numbers because I also do use NN for sharpening at times. They really are camera specific though. Don't be afraid to mess with a few of them to see how it affects your shots. You can always set it back to the default and start over again.