• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lock down permanents

Ice9

I've been hearing of stolen fish houses lately...I've been thinking of building one, and I wondered: why couldn't you auger a hole in the ice and drop a length of chain through then padlock the chain to the house? One obvious reason would be that the chain remains in the ice when the house is gone, but there might be ways of recovering it. Also, does anybody build a "secure box" inside to secure valuables? A steel box with locks might discourage the smash-and-grab thieves. I'm also thinking about windows--keeping them away from the door which would force a thief to climb in the window. Anybody else have any other security ideas for houses?

ice

Good ideas but I think all that extra security will just draw attention. If they want to get in they will. They will push your house with their truck and pull the chain right through the house or they will get a chain saw and cut a hole in the door. They also make some pretty good bolt cutters these days. My point is that if they want to get in they will. Your best bet is to take out all your stuff and leave her unlocked. This is just my opinion. Why tempt a thief...lets just not give him/her the opportunity! I would sure like to see these fools pay for their actions though....by whatever means is needed!

I think you would be better off with just some kind of coupler lock instead of the chain. keeping the windows away from the door is a good idea in my opinion, alot of the manufactured houses have that type of door and they seem to be one of the ones they like to hit. I built my own door without a window in it and used lag bolts and carriage bolts where possible to attach it to the house. Mine also has smaller crank out windows which would be awful tough to crawl through. i also have a big padlock on mine that would take quite a bolt cutter to cut through. If somebody really wants to get in they will but i figure i might as well make it tough for them ,the scum that rip off these house are going to hit the ones that are easiest to access is my thought. good luck with your house.

In england they lock down car tires with something called a clamp. You cannot cut these without ALOT of work. I wonder if a guy could get one of these. It may be expensive but well worth it when you consider the costs of houses. I think this would stop thieft of houses

Hey! Put the power of the people back in their hands!!! We all pay our fair share of taxes,RIGHT!! How about a kick back from Uncle Sam to work in conjunction with local law inforcement to go covert/ night vision all the tools and resources to keep a nieghborhood watch.... oh bad idea our license fees would sky rocket because gov. spending is out of control. A kick back would only be another smoke screen.

------------------