• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Impeller Question(s)

FishinDubs

Well, you guys have been very helpful in the past and the price you pay is more questions.

We are a 17 days (12 1/2 work days but who's counting) from our annual trip to the East end of Rainy. I have done my annual maintenance and upkeep but I have one more possible issue. Over the last few years I have noticed the old outboard isn't spitting much water out the exhaust port. It is an 1988 Force 85 hp and I am not sure how much water should be coming out. It has never been replaced before.

We did have an alarm go off a year or two ago while trolling slowly but that never happened again. A local shop is asking $300.00 to replace the impeller and I have no idea if it is a good investment or not. It is obviously pretty remote there so we don't want to get stranded.

Should we roll the dice or is it worth investing the money?

Thanks for your help in advance.

The quote seems a bit high but you should definitely replace the impellar and have all that cleaned up if you're noticing a difference in output.

Maybe I'm wrong about the price being high...

If you haven’t replaced it in several years, yes you will want to do that.

As far as the $ involved, it depends how much your time is worth. If you have a bunch of spare time, it is something you could do pretty easily yourself if you have any mechanical aptitude.

However sometimes it’s better to let the pros handle it if you are strapped for time.

Either way I would do it. You don’t want a couple hundred bucks or a few hours of your time to ruin a great trip.

I believe if your impeller goes eventually the water pump will be following if you dont get it fixed. qoute seems high got one done on a 75hp at drantells in st peter and it was $115.00 or so

Impeller part number is Quick silver 47-803630T and the cost is $17 from mercury. Problem you are going to see is finding someone to work on Force. Lots of mechanics wont work on them even Mercury and Force belongs to them. I would get it done cause a force over heats and that 300 will turn into $1800 when a piston melts if the impeller goes. Impeller should be replaced every 3 years.

I hate to say it, but these are pretty easy to do, about 10 bolts and about 45 minutes. Part I think is around $10-$15.

But like said before, $300.00 is allot better than $2000.00.

I did find someone to do it and he can get to it by the end of this week. It will be around $175.00- $250.00 but it may be money well spent.

Depending on how you value your time and your confidence to do it yourself, I would say that it's money well spent.

Have fun on your trip.

I am pretty handy and I even own the manual for the motor. My issue is if by some weird quirk it doesn't go back together properly or I break something the trip is in jeopardy.

I think if 3 guys split the cost and it is less than $250.00 it will make me sleep better at night. An ounce of prevention I guess.

Quote:
We are a 17 days (12 1/2 work days but who's counting) from our annual trip to the East end of Rainy. I have done my annual maintenance and upkeep but I have one more possible issue.

With the above info, I figure I would give the shout out on doing it him self grin.

Heck, you could pick up one of those Clymer marine repair manuals for $30.00, the part and have it done in one evening.

Just a thought grin

I am pretty handy and I even own the manual for the motor. My issue is if by some weird quirk it doesn't go back together properly or I break something the trip is in jeopardy.

I think if 3 guys split the cost and it is less than $250.00 it will make me sleep better at night. An ounce of prevention I guess.

Sorry, we posted about the same time! Sounds like the best path to follow!

Good luck and have fun!

Well we got the boat back with the new impeller on Saturday morning. Took it out for the old once over and it was throwing water out the pee hole like a champ. It cost a bit more than I had hoped ($265.00) but it was worth the peace of mind. I have done everything I can to try and assure we are prepared for our annual trip to Rainy. Thanks to all for their advise, it was very helpful.