• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trailer wheel bearing help

alg

I bought a used boat, motor, and trailer and am putting new wheel bearings on the trailer. When I took one side off, the inside bearing was "shot"-----actually in pieces. And the remainder of the bearing is "fused" to the axle. Before I attempted to get it off, I thought I'd ask here what I should do. Any help?

I may be making this sound more simple than it really is, but take a hammer and a punch and just start pounding it out. Had the same thing recently. Bring the hub in with you to get new bearings at any type of auto store if they are cool, they can inspect the hub there for no cost just to make sure there is no damage to the hub, buy new bearings and reassemble.

Sounds like you may need a torch to get the old race off the axle. Once you get it off you should be able to clean up the axle with some emery cloth and be good to go with some new bearings.

So the inner part of the bearing is stuck on the axle, right?

I'd start with a punch and try and work it off slowly by hitting it on the top or bottom, then tap at the 3:00 position, then 6:00, etc until it comes off.

Take a look at the axle when you're done - if you're lucky you'll be able to clean it up with some emery cloth.

If that doesn't work you're going to need heat, but carefull to only heat the bearing ring only if at all possible.

marine_man

you can also take a hacksaw blade and cut at a diagonal accross the inner race that is stuck on the axle. Being carefull not to cut anything but the race. Stop before you get all the way through. Then put a chisel into the cut and wack it with a hammer. This should split the race all the way through with minimal damage to the spindle.

I have had some pretty bad ones in the past. More often than not I can get them off and still have the axle in pretty good shape.